(THIRTY-EIGHT)

"Are you gonna introduce dad to Sooyoung when he comes home?"

Jiwoo hesitated. "Should I?"

Hyunjin rolled her eyes. "Of course you should," she said, "He said he wants to catch up with us and know what's going on in our lives. I mean, I think you should do it, but it's up to you. You only have a week or so to decide."

Just then, both girls turned toward the door as they heard the lock click. They assumed it would be either Heejin or Sooyoung since both of them had a spare key, but they were shocked when the door swung open and revealed their father struggling with his luggage. "Surprise!"

Immediately Jiwoo rushed over to help. Hyunjin hugged the man tightly, grateful to see her dad again. She had known about her father coming home early but they'd planned to surprise Jiwoo. He hugged his youngest and smiled proudly at how his other daughter had been so quick to help. He'd always loved that about her: she was incredibly selfless and kind.

"Welcome home, dad," Jiwoo whispered. Of course she was happy to see him too, but she was nervous having him home. It'd been her and Hyunjin for so long that whenever their dad was home, Jiwoo worried that the dynamic would be off. Mr. Kim took a step forward and pulled Jiwoo into a hug.

"It's really good to see you, pumpkin," he said. He pulled away but kept his hands on Jiwoo's shoulders. "You've gotten so tall! Look at you, you're almost as tall as Hyunjin!" He beamed with pride.

Hyunjin snorted. "Almost is the important word in that sentence," she teased.

"I want to spend time with you guys. If you don't have too much homework tonight, can we have dinner as a family?" Both girls did have homework, but the hopeful look their father gave them made both Jiwoo and Hyunjin decide that they could put the homework aside. They nodded, and their father sighed in relief. "I'll cook dinner for us. Do you guys want anything special?"

Jiwoo spoke up. "Whatever you want is fine. I'll help you cook." Her father smiled and shook his head.

"You're too nice, Jiwoo," he said, "Take a break. Let me do something for you guys. It's the least I can do after being away for so long. We can eat in half an hour? I have good news and I don't want to wait long."

Both girls nodded and sat together in Hyunjin's room waiting.

Jiwoo nervously asked, "How long do you think he'll stay?"

Hyunjin shrugged. "I don't know. That's why I want to spend time with him. He already told me he wants to see Heejin again, so she's coming over tonight." She sighed. "I want him to be a part of my life, and I want him to see how we've been since he's been gone."

"Does he know you and Heejin are together?" Hyunjin shook her head. "Are you going to tell him?"

"You know... I think I will."