Chapter 36

The week went by pretty quickly, I stayed with the basketball team and I told Riko what Akashi had said, she was behind me with staying and said that Taiga was right with his words which I knew. Ryouta has been checking in on me every day, making sure that Akashi hasn't popped up again uninvited into my bedroom again.

November 7th was the beginning of the Winter Cup Preliminaries, everyone has been practising like crazy for them so we can make it through to the very end and win.

I wait for everyone in a room at the gymnasium, "Juri? You're here early," Riko says as she walks in with everyone.

"I am," I smile at them as Riko stands beside me and the team opposite us.

"Everyone's ready? I'll once again confirm what we have to do during the Winter Cup Preliminary. There are 8 schools participating in the preliminary and among these only two schools can earn the right to participate in the Winter Cup as Tokyo representatives. With today's matches, it will be reduced to four schools. The winning four schools will go into a league match, and the top two schools can participate in the Winter Cup," Riko explains, "However, those eight schools are the top 8 schools from the Inter-High Preliminaries. In other words, they are all schools that achieved some success during summer. There are few matches, but on the other hand, all the battles will be against tough opponents."

"Today's opponent is in 6th place, Josei Highschool," I tell them, "We will definitely win, you all have passed my expectations when I met you at the beginning of the year. Let's win these matches."

"YEAH!" The boys shout.

"Let's get going everyone," Riko says and we walk out onto the court. I sit on the bench with Riko and the benchers as the starters make their way onto the court to warm up.

"Juri, thank you for not listening to him and staying with us," Riko says.

"You're welcome," I smile at her and I get out my pad and pen, "Just if improvements are needed, which I doubt."

"You work too much sometimes," Riko smiles at me.

"It's okay, I like it," I smile at her.

The teams line up and one of Josei's team members starts crying on the court, "Women... You said the opponent's coach and manager are both women..." He points at Riko, "Can't she be more boring?! My tension isn't going sky high! She has zero sexiness!! Bring back my heartbeat!!" He points to me, "And she... Looks like she would eat me alive in bed even without anything on me!"

"Disgusting..." I mutter and flinch, slowly looking at Riko who is giving our players a cheerful smile before gesturing them to go slaughter them. 

The starters look terrified, all probably saying yes to her orders

During the first quarter, we started off having more trouble than we thought we would against Yosei. Two members of Yosei had double-teamed against Taiga, resulting in Taiga holding the ball for too long. Josei's double-team against Taiga, we had expected it to happen, but they were pretty rough with it. As Taiga was being double-teamed, Kiyoshi started to take the lead and began turning the game around, but it was kind of slow at the beginning until he proved his position was correct for him with his strength. The strength of Kiyoshi seemed to distract the double-team which Tetsuya noticed and took advantage of the situation, passing the ball to Taiga instant. My eyes widen as Taiga jumped high, high enough to headbutt the hoop but still scored. Ending the 1st quarter with us leading, 29 to 18.

"Dumbass," I comment as I watch Tetsuya dragging Taiga back to the bench.

Nearing the end of the game Seirin was still in the lead with 91 to 53. The players continued to show their strengths and teamwork throughout the game, they never stopped communicating with each other. Even though Taiga was frustrated due to the persistent double-team that was preventing him from doing anything and it seemed he reached his limit in the final quarter. Tetsuya flings one of his sweatbands to Taiga, telling him to relax, ending up in a small argument like usual until Tetsuya mentions two members of Too Academy's basketball team then Taiga seems fired up compared to frustrated. Yosei High double team against Taiga again, but this time he is able to get past them. He was easily marked but he jumped from the free-throw line, dunking the ball.

My eyes widen and my body freezes, "No way," I whisper as I sense something opening, like a gate being forced open as soon as he jumped, "He..." My eyes land on Tetsuya who is staring at Taiga in shock, "We can win this cup," I whisper and I flinch as he falls back but we won with 108 - 61 to Seirin High School.

As the team walks to the bench and we all start walking together. I walk beside Tetsuya, "Tetsuya, did you..." I look at him.

"I did," He nods and we look at Taiga in front of us, "Like we thought, he is what we need for our goals," He says as the other talk about the matches.

"Did you forget already? The only ones that can participate in the preliminary are the top 8 schools that survived in the midst of over 300 schools from the summer competitions. In other words, the Winter Cup Preliminary has already started at the same time as Inter-High Preliminary. Therefore, the Winter Cup Preliminary is a tremendously long qualifier that has been going on since the summer," Riko explains once again to everyone, "The first opponent for the finals league is Senshinkan. We lost to them twice already, so we'll have our revenge against them for sure!!"

"YEAH!" 

"Kagami," Tetsuya says and he looks at us, "Later, can you make time for us?"

"Me too?" I ask pointing my face.

"Yes," He nods.

"Okay," We both nod.

Later the three of us go to the court, "Juri, can you watch?" Tetsuya asks and I nod, sitting on the ground, on Tetsuya's jacket.

"So... What's up?" Taiga asks.

"Can you be my practice partner, for my new drive?" Tetsuya asks.

"...Hey, hey, it's still not ready yet?!" Taiga asks.

"It's pretty much done, at the practice stage. What I'm asking are the final touches for the anti-human practice... Juri can't watch me if she's helping me as she won't notice any faults," Tetsuya says.

"I see," Taiga takes off his jacket and throws it onto my lap, I make a blanket out of his jacket, "Okay, bring it on."

I watch the two stand opposite each other, Tetsuya moves forward and like in a flash of light, he disappeared from our sight and appeared behind him, but the ball hits Taiga's chest.

"Oops..." Tetsuya says.

I stand up and walk to Taiga taking the ball, "It's smooth and slippery... It's probably why it failed," I say and pass the ball to Tetsuya, "Maybe it's time you change the ball too."

"It would be nice if I could use the gym more often... this is the 6th ball already," Tetsuya says.

"What...?!" I stare at him in shock, "Try it again with another ball, it probably just slipped out of your hand. Other than that, it seemed to be spot on," I tell him.

"Thanks, Juri," Tetsuya looks at him, "Dinner then home? It's the finals league tomorrow."

"Sure," Taiga and I nod as the three of us leave the court.