Chapter 39

The time that Taiga and I spent in America was long but it went by rather quickly.  Ryouta wasn't very happy about me leaving and whined constantly over the phone every day to me about wanting me to come home. While we were in America, I helped with Taiga's training day and night with the help of those who play street basketball, slowly I saw Taiga getting his vibe back as well as him getting stronger with everything that he was doing.

We arrived back in Japan on the first day of the competition, a little later than planned. My phone buzzed and I looked to see Riko asking where we were and another from a blocked number requesting my presence. I grind my teeth and look out the window of Sebastian's car, "Hurry Sebastian, we're late," I say.

"I will try," Sebastian says as he drives.

When we get to the gymnasium that will be used, we walk to the entrance and I see the Generation of Miracles all gather, "Furihata," I say walking up and everyone looks at me, "His bark is worse than his bite, trust me... I'm still here after defying him."

"Come on, that's cold. Don't leave him out of the loop," Taiga says.

"Kagami! Juri!" Furihata and Tetsuya greet us.

I look at Tetsuya, "Hey," I smile and wave then I'm suddenly wrapped in a hug and spun around in a circle, "Ryo, put me down... I'm dizzy," I say and I'm placed down.

"I missed you Juricchi!" He smiles at me.

"I know I missed you too," I smile at him and kiss his cheek.

"I think we can catch up later, but first..." Taiga says and I look up at him as he looks at Akashi, "So you're Akashi... Glad to meet you," He says.

I look at Akashi as he glares at Taiga, "Shintaro, can I borrow those scissors for a bit?" Akashi asks and my eyes widen a little.

"What do you need them for?" Shintaro asks before handing them over.

"My hair's bothering me. I was just thinking about cutting it," Akashi says taking the scissors, "But before that... You're Kagami-Kun, right?" Akashi looks at Taiga before suddenly rushing to Taiga and pushing the scissors close to Taiga's face who luckily dodged.

"Akashi!" I push his hand away from Taiga, "Please, don't."

"Wow... He's good at dodging," Akashi smirks, "For moving like that, I'll forgive you this time, but there won't be the next time. If I say leave, then leave... Juri let go," He says and I let go of his wrist, "In this world, winning is everything; winners are validated and losers are denied," He adds as he starts trimming his fridge, "Until now, I've never lost at anything, and I won't in the future. Since I always win, I'm always right," He glares at Taiga, "If you oppose me... I'll kill you, no matter who you are," His eyes land on me, "Juri... Why don't we have a chat?"

"I haven't been involved in Seirin Basketball Team," I say.

"Are you lying? You're here," He says and the boys look worried.

"You said for me not be involved with the team as a whole and to not be involved in anything to do with the Winter Cup... I've been dealing with people individually, not a team and as you see as well as having someone represent me in their training," I hold up a Winter Cup ticket, "I got a ticket for a box... You never said I couldn't help them individually or be present in their matches," I say, "Your orders are absolute are they not? It's not my fault you've given me the opportunity for loopholes."

"You..." He glares at me and laughs, "You are still interesting following my orders but doing as you please no matter what."

"Isn't that why you are fond of me so much?" I ask and smile a little, "It's why you took it upon yourself to watch over me after my mother and sisters death," I walk past him, "Winning isn't everything Akashi... Until you know that, I'll continue to find loopholes," I turn to him as he looks at me, I smirk, "See you Seijuro," I walk on, "Good luck everyone, may the best team win," I wave bye.

"Juricchi!" Ryouta runs up to me and I turn to him, "When this is all over..."

"I still remember," I smile, "Go on, I believe Akashi hasn't finished."

"You're right I haven't but I don't need to," Akashi says, "I wanted to check two things, but looking at you all made me realise that it's not necessary since it seems like no one has gotten out oath back then and you, Juri, remembering our promise back at Middle School. So it's all good, the next time we'll meet will be in battle," Akashi smirks and he walks off.

I look at a guy with black hair and hazel eyes and gesture him to walk forward, "Thank you very much for borrowing this," I say and hand him back the ticket then smile.

"You're welcome Kurosawa," He takes it and looks at Taiga and Tetsuya, "Good luck," He smiles and walks off.

"Who was that?" Ryouta asks placing his arm over my shoulders.

"Someone from my class, he is here to watch and I told him I needed to borrow the ticket for our little meeting but I'd give it back," I answer.

"You just lied to him?" Daiki asks.

"Who knows," I shrug and look at the Seirin team who flinch, "Move it!"

"Yes ma'am," They say and walk off in a hurry.

"See you later," I smile at the others before walking after the three to the changing room before we all go out to the court and I sit beside Riko.

The team did seem a little overwhelmed by the response that they were getting from the audience's cheers when they are really here for Too Academy. 

The match against Too Academy felt long and it began to feel like Too Academy won, they were just as strong as they were in summer, if not stronger. Neither team looked down on the other, well they didn't openly. The match itself was a difficult one, the close you were to the court you were able to notice the slight hint of struggle on the faces. Tetsuya uses his Vanishing Drive successfully against a few members of the Too Academy team but eventually, Daiki was able to stop Tetsuya's Vanishing Drive, by closing his eyes which leads him to be unaffected by Tetsuya's misdirection. Riko soon pulled Tetsuya out and replacing him with Koganei, which he wasn't happy about even though he was only out for the rest of the 2nd quarter. The 3rd quarter was rather difficult, anyone could feel the frustration of the match radiating from the court. No one gave up, everyone grew with their own abilities, more than I had ever thought. In the 4th quarter, Taiga was able to go into the Zone, it sent chills down my spine, more than I could've ever imagined. Daiki was soon to follow, watching the two of them was almost memorising, their strength, their speed, their power and their will to win was something that was almost beautiful. Finally, the last whistle blow and the score was 101 - 100 to Seirin, we had won and I was in shock, staring at the court. 

"He's grown so much," I smile to look at Daiki as he and Tetsuya fist bump, "I'm so proud."

"Everything okay Juri?" Riko asks.

"Yes, everything is better than okay," I smile at her and stand up, Daiki looks over to me. I smile at him and he gestures me to go over. 

I walk up to him, passing Tetsuya and Taiga, "Hey..." He looks at me, "You know I said the only one who can beat me is me," I nod, "I was wrong... I saw, some of your old movements in him today. The only one who can beat me is you," He whispers before hugging me.

"EW! You're sticky and smell and sweaty, get off me! Daiki! Let go!" I shout and struggling as the two teams watch with a chuckle, "Seriously, I'm going to need a shower now."

"I'm sorry," Daiki whispers and I freeze turning to him, "I'm truly and utterly, sorry... You... You did nothing to deserve any of what Akashi did... I shouldn't have shouted."

"You've already apologised... Just don't go backwards okay?" I look at him and smile, "That's all I ask Daiki as well as... Letting me go, please?"

"Sure," He releases me, "When this is all over, we play against each other, sometime," He says.

"I'd like that," I smile at him and catch up to Seirin who have started making their way off the court to clean themselves up.

As I walk into the changing room, everyone is dressed and asleep, "Aww look at them, they worked really hard today," I smile at them as I stand beside Riko, "We leaving them a little longer?"

"Yeah, we'll leave them a bit longer," Riko agrees.