CHAPTER 15

(Police station)

The day was getting awful for Officer Kim and the splitting headache did not help at all. He had been going around investigating Amelia’s case the whole day and all he reached were dead ends. He sat on the chair sighing, taking a sip of his coffee from instant coffee maker. “Great day Mr.Kim?” asked Officer Simmons with an annoying sarcastic smile on his face. “I don’t swear when I’m on duty Mr.Simmons”. “What have you got yourself into to have you half dead like this?” Officer Simmons asked taking a seat beside him. “You know, the missing case about a girl and a boy?” Officer Kim said. The other officer whistled raising his brows “Got a real big catch there huh? Well good luck. Got anything useful till now?”. Officer Kim looked at his coffee which had turned cold and answed “Nothing much. They just heard the noise of the party. We investigated one of her friend, who is also her neighbour, seems he heard some screams coming from her home after the party.... he was the one who called 911”. “Do you want any more help? More manpower in this case?” Officer Simmons asked, a bit halfhearted at it seemed to Officer Kim. “No problem, I’ve got an assistent for this case. A newbie, a young one, seems active. And speaking of him, I had asked him to come meet me at around..” Officer Kim checked his watch and continued “now”. “Go easy on him will you? Don’t make him run away on his first day. I’ll get going then” Officer Simmons got up and made his way to his desk.

Officer Kim flipped through his file going through the testimonies when he heard hurried foot steps near him. He looked around to see a young male making his way towards him, standing stiff and straight like a pole “Good afternoon sir I’m Mathew, your new assistant” his voice was filled with enthusiasm as it seemed to Officer Kim. “Loosen up kid. You can spend this energy working on the case.” Officer Kim replied uninterested to the newbie. “Yes sir” Mathew said. Officer Kim got up and gestured the newbie to follow him to his office. They entered a small room with just one desk and three chairs, two kept opposite to the other one. Officer Kim sat on his chair and glanced at him.

“So, what do you know about this case we are going to handle?” the sudden question from Officer Kim put Mathew off guard that he stammered a bit saying “It... it is a case about two missing people sir. Reported in March 13th. A girl and a boy of around 20years old. Both of them going to the same high school.” “Good, looks like you’ve heard the grannys talk about it huh” Officer Kim said tossing the file to the young man who caught it just on time and flicked over the pages seeing photographs of the night and the testimonies collected. “As you see, it happened on the night just after Miss Amelia’s birthday party,  someone must have waited till everyone got out.... making sure both Amelia and Nick were the only ones remaining inside, and must have gotten in and kidnapped them.... or he should have aimed for one while the other just got in the way.” Officer Kim explained it as if the whole case was sculptured in his brain. “But sir, what about the blood stains?” Mathew asked as he took a look of those pictures. “Think boy, how can the culprit take on two at a time? The blood sample matched those of Nick. So the person should have knocked down Nick who can likely defend himself. The culprit was clever to move on that night too. There were too many fingerprints from all those who attended the party so it’s almost impossible to find the culprit’s fingerprint if he had left one.” Officer Kim glanced at the young man who was in deep thought and continued “I want you to run a background check on both of them and report it to me tomorrow got it?”. “Yes sir” Mathew nodded.

________________________

Jake’s pov

“Um Steve I heard you were also from Florida.” I asked making myself comfortable in the sofa. “Yeah, me and Amelia. We actually studied in the same school” He said sitting as well. “Really? So you guys know each other well?” I asked out of curiosity. “Actually no. I was a bit of a loner at those times, but I have seen Amelia there. I just didn’t talk to her. I was always the wierd kid” he said laughing a bit.

“She always had a tensed look on her face before I went home. She was always thinking about something. Everything started to change after we went on a picnic to a beach” Jake said looking at his hands that he missed the pissed look that surfaced on Steve’s face for a second. “And Nick too. I couldn’t believe he would also go missing. Those blood stains on the carpet...” Jake stopped as he felt his hands shaking and was breathing hard. “I still remember Amelia’s smile man. I still remember the shy smile she gave me when I presented her a bracelet on the beach.” Jake said feeling the irony “I... gave her the bracelet... cos it was... actually to be given to someone with whom you wanted to be with forever... and now I see how fate has turned out” he said feeling warm tears flowing down his chin slowly.

A/n I’ll be concentrating more on the side of the officers and how the investigation is going to proceed... I'm sorry if this chapter was boring but I've got to be more detailed like this... let’s see if they can get Amelia and Nick(?) back.