Chapter 2

Cole nodded and led Arael over to the sofa in front of his bed. He wondered what she could possibly ask that she hadn't asked already.

"So what's on your mind",he asked. She bit her lip, a nervous habit that he noticed never left after her death, and shifted to get into a more comfortable position on the couch. He sat next to her once she was comfortable and raised an eyebrow expectantly.

"Well I just wanted to know if you would tell me the story again of when we met and why... And then also, when it was that you fell in love with me?",she asked. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly as he rubbed his hands on his pants.

"Well we met close to the end of your matric year because my father sent me down to kill you. I'm sure you remember Heath breaking up with you? Well that was the day after I... it was the day after I tried to hit you and kill you. But I couldn't do it. You looked so small and innocent, trying to hide how scared you really were. I just wanted to hold you and comfort you but I couldn't because as soon as I let you go, the fear turned to hate. I could see you hated me and it hurt. I didn't know why but it did. From then, once you forgave me, I slowly started falling in love with you as time passed. That night at the party when I heard you tell Heath that he was hurting you I realised that I love you and would do absolutely anything for you, and hearing that he was hurting you infuriated me and I couldn't let him get away with it. I didn't want another man touching you and I would've killed anyone that hurt you. I still will now to be honest",he told her. She smiled at his story and found herself moving closer to him.

"What was I like with you?",she asked softly. He grinned and looked down at the floor.

"You were something else. Everyone's natural instinct is to be afraid of me or want to get into bed with me but you weren't like that. You did things and said things to me that other people wouldn't dare say, angel or fallen or human. There was one time outside your house when I was waiting to give you a lift to school and we spoke and argued and then you came forward and I thought you were going to kiss me. I also leaned down but then you pushed my jacket that I gave to you the previous day into my chest and said and I quote "Enjoy school, princess" and then you got into your car and drove away",he told her making her giggle. She tried to stop when he narrowed his eyes at her, pretending to be mad at her.

"Do you seriously remember my exact words?",she asked, surprise clear in her voice. He nodded and turned to look out of the window as he felt himself blush slightly.

"Aww, are you blushing?",she asked teasingly. He shook his head as he felt the blush deepen.

"Then look at me",she said smugly. He crossed his arms stubbornly and shook his head again.

"No",he told her ashe tried to get his blushing under control. She scrabbled over to him on the couch and placed her hands on his shoulders to pull herself up and over him to look at his face while hanging upside down. Her body was pressed against his back as she grinned.

"Didn't your mother teach you that it's bad to lie?",she teased. He rolled his eyes and pulled her over him the rest of the way and held her on his lap.

"Weren't you ever told that it's rude to hang on people",he said with a smirk as he tickled her. She screamed and wriggled around, trying to get away from him as she laughed.

"Cole! No! Stop it",she shouted as she tried to stop laughing. Both of them froze and hurried away from each other as the door opened and Maggie stepped in.

"Is everything alright in here? I came up to tell you dinner is ready and I heard Arael screaming",Maggie said as she looked between the two. Cole cleared his throat and ran his hand through his hair.

"Everything's fine, Maggie. Shall we go to dinner?",he asked Arael. She nodded and Maggie left them to make their way down together. Arael walked towards the door with her head down and her lip between her teeth. Cole caught up to her and stopped her, lifting her chin so she would look at him.

"You shouldn't look at the floor, little bird. You're much too beautiful to hide",he said softly and kissed her forehead before making his way out the room and down to the dining room.