Chapter 2

(September 27th, 1986, Sweden)

        All I heard was skidding, next thing I knew I was outside the bus taking a silent head count of who was there. 'Oh no! Where's Cliff?' I looked everywhere, finally I saw his legs sticking out from under the bus. 'No! Cliff was my best friend! He was like a brother to me!' I tried not to cry my eyes out, I failed when Kirk came up to me with a frantic face.

        "Do you know where Cliff is?" no words came out, I just started crying as I pointed to where he was under the bus. As soon as Kirk realised what had happened we fell into a long sorrowful hug with both of us crying on each other's shoulders.

* * *

        We flew back home, later that day and cancelled the rest of the tour.

        The next few weeks passed in a blur. Cliff was my roommate, that's how he got an audition for Metallica. I couldn't stand being in that apartment on my own so I moved in with my brother.

(October 28th, 1986, San Francisco)

        We were in the studio doing auditions for a new bassist, all the guys were playing unfortunately all I could do was watch.

        As the guy who was just in left, all the guys came over and sat on the couch around me. "So far, everyone who's come in either can't play bass or is just a complete dick," James noted.

        "I don't know how we're ever gonna find someone when they all suck," Lars just confirmed for me that the energy in the room was low, but hey, I can't blame them I was kinda low energy that day too. I knew just what to do though.

        I left the building and went out to my car. I got out my B52's cd, it was weird music that I have no idea how I used to like, but it was hilarious. I went back inside and put it in the CD player.

        As soon as the first song started I saw faint smiles appear on all the guy's faces, and about half way through they were all laughing.

       I took the CD out and put it back in my car.

        "What was that?" Kirk said between laughs.

        "Something to get you guys to laugh, we all needed it," I answered.

        As soon as the next guy came in I could tell by the way he shook everyone's hands 'and he even SMILED!' that he could possibly be the guy we chose. Then he did something that none of the other guys that came in did, he introduced himself to me as well.

        "Hi, I'm Jason," he said with a kind of warm smile that I've only ever gotten from one of the guys. They started playing and something happened, they sounded amazing!

        At the end of the song, me and the guys looked at each other and I could tell we all thought the same thing: 'he's our new bassist.'

        All of us went up to Jason and James shook his hand as we all said "welcome to Metallica!"

________________________________________________________________________________

Author note: Sorry it jumps around so much, it doesn't really jump around as much after this chapter. It's just that the ideas I had all ment that it would jump around. Also sorry for the sad moment, it was an important event that I wanted to include in the story. Anyway I'll stop talking now.