Chapter Four: Dagaz

"Do you wish to talk about it?"

Hemming and Calder sat propped against a larger tree, the larger man holding the others hand gently.

Calder made a noise in the back of his throat, it did not express his answer, only that he had heard Hemming.

When he had finally calmed, Hemming explained that he had woken in the morning screaming. Calder felt bad that he had most likely woke someone.

Everyone was awake when Calder snapped out of it, though who knew how he was there with them watching; all hovering around him with concerned looks, even Lagina and Nadir.

Hemming had told them to all go for a run or hunt, just something, he said. Now, he and Calder are alone and Calder feels like shite.

"It felt real." He finally murmured, looking off to the side that Hemming was not on.

Hemming only squeezed Calder's hand.

"I was in the water; a lake or ocean, I do not know. I just walked out and sunk, and I kept thinking I should have drowned or died but it never happened."

Calder thought back to how his lungs filled with water, and how he sunk like a stone under the surface.

"Then I woke up; or I thought I did. It was dark out and there wasn't a fire so it was cold. I crawled until I hit... until I found a body; and I realized it was you. It hurt so much, and I do not know why." Calder said in a broken voice, turning to face Hemming.

The man had a frown on his face, looking at Calder with an indescribable sadness.

"I thought it was real. I thought you were dead and it felt like my heart was ripped from my chest. But I do not know you, so it shouldn't have hurt so much." Calder sighed quietly.

"You know me more than the others. I am who you are closest to out of the band, perhaps this is why." Hemming said with another small squeeze.

Calder shook his head gently. He wanted to think that was what happened, but this was different. Calder did not know how to explain it, only that it was one of the most painful things he had ever felt.

"Perhaps." Calder muttered and closed his eyes, thumping his head back onto the tree behind them.

Hemming did not say anything more, only sitting next to Calder quietly.

Calder let out a slow sigh before standing up and slipping his hand from Hemming's.

"We should begin walking again." He said and leaned down to collect the fur and blanket for the second time.

"Are you sure? You do not wish to talk anymore?" Hemming questioned and stood up too, crossing his arms and unknowingly showing off the large biceps that grew there.

"What is there to talk about? It is done, it was only a dream. There is no reason to dwell in the past when we can be moving forward." Calder huffed gently and folded the blanket quickly. "Is there a way you can get everyone back here? I am sure they could not have gone far."

Hemming gave a strange look towards Calder before nodding and bringing his fingers to his mouth, letting out a sharp whistle that was loud enough to echo through the woods.

Calder grinned at the thought of Hemming treating the band like dogs. As if they would come running back to their master in a heartbeat; Calder knew they would.

It did not take long for the band to form again, Halina being the first one back.

"Are you alright, Calder? I was so worried." She sighed dramatically as soon as she saw Calder.