Chapter Seven: Mannaz

Hemming had apparently not been talking about getting himself a cloak, but getting Calder one.

Calder had initially been shocked when Hemming had turned to him and asked if he wanted a fur lined cloak or a thicker fabric, and after they had quipped back and forth about Calder not needing a cloak, the old woman had finally given up and handed Hemming a thick fur lined cloak that was a deep grey blue.

Calder refused to put it on, saying that the cold did not really bother him and that they could give the cloak to someone else.

At least, Calder refused until Hemming gave him a look that made Calder's mind melt with the heat of it; Hemming successfully wrapped him in the cloak at that, and Calder did not say anything else in favor of hiding his blush in the fur.

"Look at you, Calder. You look like a wolf with all that fur." Hale snickered suggestively when the band- pack- had met up again.

Calder made a pouty noise in his throat and crossed his arms under the large weight of fabric and reindeer pelt.

"He does not think he needs it. Did everyone get all we need?" Hemming chuckled and nodded towards the items that Nadir was holding, he had the biggest hands out of them besides Hemming after all.

"Yes." Nadir held up the bags with a little shake.

Calder could clearly see that one of the sacks was full of salt, and by the looks of it there was one containing potatoes and another holding maybe four rounds of bread. There were more, but he could not see what else they contained.

"Good, we will go back and fetch the sled before continuing. I think our best option is to go back into the forest and angle south in order to miss the mountain." Hemming explained and made a gesture with his hand to show their plans of curving around the mountain.

"They say the coast is not far from here, maybe a days walk. Going south will land us at a fjord that follows east to the sea." Hale said and Hemming nodded.

"Then we will hope that the land settles near the coast, mountains will be tough with the sled and a babe." Hemming hummed and crossed his arms. "Let us go gain ground while the weather is good."

Calder followed quietly and took in the sight of storm clouds coming from the north. Maybe they would find somewhere for shelter nearby; the mountain was sure to have a cave or two.

It was most likely going to rain instead of snow with how quickly spring was approaching. Eostre would be soon, but Calder was unsure if the pack celebrated these holidays.

The farm would usually only do a small thing for the spring goddess; a feast devoid of any rabbit or hare, and colored eggs that were given to a loved one. Calder had never received an egg, though he had given many to his mother.

Even though the blót was named after Eostre, Calder always took to making offerings to Freya and Idunn instead; his mother hated his beliefs that a goddess could influence the harvest. She only cared for Odin and the importance of strength.

Calder frowned at his thoughts; his mother had really discouraged his emotions, not allowing him to feel anything but obedience towards her.

"There is a small hollow in the mountainside up ahead; we will need to stay there for the time it takes for the storm to pass." Hemming announced as they walked through the forest while on the edge of the rocky peaks to the left of them.

There was indeed a shallow cave carved into the stone, easy to access from where they were heading.

It was cold, and damp, and smelled slightly of soil. But, it could keep them sheltered from the rain that was approaching.