Chapter Five: Hagalz

The sound of a baby crying was not something that Calder was familiarized with.

At least the sun was up, he thought.

Halina was shushing and rocking the babe in her arms when he took in the camp.

Everyone was awake, staring at how the woman interacted with the child. But, eventually had to turn their heads when Halina started to breastfeed the babe.

While the baby ate, Hale made sure to feed the rest of the band too; he handed out meat and bread and Calder was adopting the idea of eating so much salted meat every day. It was not like it tasted bad.

Hemming made sure to keep the band on the track of packing up and continuing to move, this time helping Halina roll her furs because of the suckling babe.

When the feeding was done, Halina had handed the little girl off to Padma, who blushed and held the child as softly as they could and gently patted the babes back.

Hale and Padma were close; Calder knew this. He had seen them steal kisses when they thought that Calder was not looking, and Calder would be lying if it did not ignite a spark of hope that maybe he would not be judged.

Padma did not have a gender. Or at least that was what Calder understood.

Calder was fine with that, albeit confused at first. But, Calder did not know what they were born as, so it was easier to latch onto the idea of them not being anything.

Padma and Hale were together, so it was obvious why Halina had chose to pass the babe to them.

Calder though, could not fight the realization that if the band was accepting of their relationship, then maybe they would not care about Calder's inclination towards men.

"You seem to like picking up strays, Hemming. I wonder if anyone else will come along for you to save?" Halina teased once they had begun walking again.

Hemming snorted out a laugh from where he was standing next to Calder.

"Hopefully this is the last. At this rate, we will have too many for just one house." Hemming said over his shoulder with a smirk.

Calder could not help the stab of hurt that went through his chest. He did not wish to be a burden.

"True. I quite like just the two we have picked up." Halina chuckled and Calder at least felt better from her saying that she liked him.

"Me too. Perhaps we will find you your own stray, Halina."

Halina blushed at Hemming's taunting tone, as if it was an inside joke.

Calder also blushed; because to him, it sounded as if Hemming was referring to Calder as his stray. He did not entertain the thought for too long out of fear his heart would show in his chest how fast it was beating.

Besides the baby being carried along with them, the traveling was all the same.

Occasionally, the little girl would fuss and Padma would coo at her gently, rubbing a hand up and down her back.

When a stench permeated in the air, they all knew what it was and Hemming grimaced before leading them south a bit; Calder did not know why until they hit a river. He smiled at the sight.

Padma took the liberty of unraveling the little girl and using one of Hales tunics for a makeshift diaper; he did not seem to mind all considered.

Calder had immediately ignored what was happening with the child in favor of acting like one; taking his boots and socks off so he could stand in the river.