Chapter Twenty: Eihwez

The day the rest of the pack came home was the day that Calder knew what Odin had said was true.

He could almost feel something inside him shift; he was more protective of his stomach than ever before, and even though he was surrounded by his pack and family, he was still wary of them.

Calder had told Hemming this and the man was joyful, yet concerned that Calder saw the pack as a threat. Calder told him it was not strong enough yet to cause issue.

A few fortnights after the pack was together again was when Calder first got sick in the morning.

Calder luckily sleeps on the outer edge of the bed anyway, so he only had to turn over before expelling his stomachs contents onto the dirt ground.

Hemming was grinning even as Calder groaned and felt like shite the whole morning.

After that, things became only tougher as they went. The sickness never really left, even as Halina gave Calder teas to help. It was only after the first god after Odin visited that Calder had a sort of relief.

Calder sensed the other god as soon as he stepped within the packs border; Calder had been using his Seidr and stones to make sure there were no threat. He would send out one of the wolves to place them, and on an unassuming bright and sunny day, one of them was triggered.

Víðarr made himself known peacefully by walking into the clearing from the uninhabited side, and Calder was mostly calm as he did so.

Vidar had little reason to threaten Loki, seeing as Fenrir had likely come back the same way that Jörmungandr had.

The two gods spoke for a while as Hemming and the rest of the pack hovered nearby while tending the farm animals brought back those many weeks ago.

Vidar congratulated Calder on both coming into his god ship and becoming pregnant with Loki.

It was when Calder laughed and complained about the morning illness that Vidar offered a solution of Peppermint tea.

Vidar said his goodbyes and Calder did too. As soon as the older god left, Calder asked the pack if any of them had seen any mint growing.

Nadir said that he had smelled a patch due south of the settlement and that he would fetch some for Calder.

When Nadir came back and Calder made the tea, Calder was very pleasantly surprised to find that it did help some with the nausea.

Life went on as normal from then on, but only for a few days before yet another god was visiting; this time though, Calder was crying nearly the whole time.

Lofn was beautiful, with long blond hair that reached her lower back and a flowing deep red dress. Calder almost felt bad for sobbing onto it when they hugged.

They talked for what seemed like the whole day, the air filled with apologies and catching up.

Calder asked his mother if she would marry him and Hemming, she was ecstatic as she said yes and they planned to have the ceremony in three days time.

Hemming had given his last gift not long after Calder's morning illness began, the gift being a poem full of love and sweet words that Calder kept safely between two sheets of leather.

The older male had loved the comb that Calder gave him; they spent hours combing each other's hair after they had bathed in the ocean those weeks ago.

Calder was ready to marry this man, and was more than ready to have his child too.

Lofn gave her blessing many times over, saying that Calder and Hemming were both lucky to find each other as fate.

She left just before dawn, and the pack was left with a happy feeling perhaps only because Calder was thrumming with the joy of finally meeting his true mother.