Chapter Nine: Laguz

"So, I am assuming you fixed the mess you created, Hemming?"

Calder jumped as Halinas voice echoed through the cave.

His and Hemming's hands were still touching, though Calder had moved them so that Hemming's was resting on Calder's chest instead of his wet leg.

"Yes, Halina." Hemming groaned and shot an annoyed look to his sister, who had the rest of the pack trailing behind her.

Calder only smiled and chuckled at the siblings, the hand cradled to his chest squeezed his own.

"Good. The sun has begun to set, and the rain has moved on; we should be able to start moving again in the morning. We scouted ahead while we waited for you two to talk, and it seems that the sea is closer than we originally thought. We should be there by midday tomorrow." Hale stepped forward and sat down next to the fire, holding the backs of his hands against it for warmth.

Calder felt a thrum if excitement rattle his body.

He would get answers finally. He would know who the voice was and why this is happening now.

But what if it was bad? What if he was a monster and was meant to be evil?

His heart was beating fast at the thoughts racing through his mind, he was positive that Hemming could feel it.

"Is there a clear path to the coast?" Hemming asked towards his pack.

"From what we saw, yes. There is no shore, though. The whole seaboard is a cliff. We imagine we can go south and it will mellow out into a beach." Hale responded and when Padma lowered her, he took Eira with a smile.

Calder made a noise of displeasure in his throat, something that might have been a growl if he held the ability.

"Then we will do that. Get some rest and we will leave at dawn." Hemming called out and pulled his hand gently from Calder's.

Calder frowned slightly but it dissipated when he saw Hemming pick the cloak up and walk back to him.

"You can not sleep in those trousers when they are soaked through like that. We should have bought you more clothes since you have been half naked for the past day." Hemming sighed with a smile and threw the cloak over Calder's shoulders.

Calder just huffed out a laugh and tightened the cloak, standing up to take his pants off.

He grimaced at the wet fabric sticking to his thighs and ass.

Maybe next time he decides to go swim and sit in the bottom of a glacial pool he will make sure he is devoid of any clothes.

Calder finally removed the trousers and held them out to Hemming, who smiled sweetly and took them.

Hemming squeezed the extra water out near the edge of the cave and then put them near the fire to dry.

Calder yawned and walked to where his blanket and fur was before laying down.

His hair was partly dry now, and Calder used the still rolled up fur to support his head. He hoped that his hair wasn't too messy when he woke up due to it drying weird against the fur.

Though, he supposed it did not matter when he finally closed his eyes and let himself sleep.

He did not care when he felt Hemming lay down next to him, his presence was welcome.

___________

Calder woke to a hand skimming across his face, brushing his hair from his face and rubbing a calloused thumb on his cheek.