Prolouge

(Vera P.O.V.)

November 14th, 20XX 

2:48 p.m

Vera quietly came up the stairs. The lights from the hallway flickered from above. She looked up onto the slightly open door to her parents' room. Two silhouettes were covered in shadow.

Earlier today while she was on the phone with Arin she heard the beeping noise coming from the doors latch in notification. It was the surveillance cameras that had gladly notified her that her parents had arrived. And that's when all the shouting began. You'd think her parents would just be happy with all the money they owned, apparently not.

 The system itself had cost hundreds of dollars matching the house worth millions. Previously owned by celebrities and presently owned by a top Fashion designer. Who happens to be known internationally. Besides her mother, she even heard this was owned by another Famous Fashion desiger named Max Azria.

By her mothers side was her father. A corporate businessman matching her like a designer Hernes Kelly, rose gold bag. Out of all the expensive household items the house system was Veras' most prized possession. It helped her to get away from uncomfortable “family” situations.

 Vera shouldn’t have been home today and her parent's shouldn’t have been either. She scrambled up the stairs quietly not wanting her presence to be known, hoping to not run into them. 

“Katherine!” Vera froze, flinching at her father's infuriated voice. “I can’t do this no more!” She hears him yell again. She looks up the stairway to her parents' partly open door. 

They never really were home. And when they were, they never slept together, always staying in different wings of the house. She preferred it that way. Vera couldn’t even remember when it had been different, it didn’t matter, she didn’t care.

 “You? You can’t do this no more?” 

She hears her mother scoff. Vera curses tiptoeing closer hoping to reach her door.

“For goodness sake!”, her mother laughs harshly. “You’re not the one that got cheated on!”

 Veras’ hand freezes on the doorknob to her room. Her eyes widen with shock, as she struggles to comprehend what was jsut happening. Looking over her shoulder. Her skin tingles with unrecognizable emotions as she walks away from her door and sits on the stairway.  Clinging onto the stairway she peeks into the door.

She spots a figure moving, it’s her mother pacing angrily through the room.

Her mother barks a laugh as she runs a hand through her hair.

Vera becomes stiff at the tension radiating off her.

 A deeper voice comes from behind her mother,” Katherine. Please, what about our daughter?” 

A sudden dread crawls up Vera’s stomach, she holds her breath. 

Her mother laughs again in a shaky voice,” Our daughter?”, she says.

“Yes. Our daughter. How will she take this, Katherine?”, Vera's father replies inpatiently.

Vera furrowed her brow. She stood up, leaning her back against the wall trying to get closer to hear them better. 

Her parents' loud voices echoed through the empty, white-walled, photo-less house.

“She’s not OUR daughter. She’s MINE", her mother growls.