8- Varsity Rookies

(Same Day)
(Arins P.OV)

3:07 P.M.

" 5 Minutes! 5 minutes, left to stretch!- Hurry up and get your asses out here!" Arin yelled, clapping his hands hastily.

"Hey! You're sure gonna be a tough Captain aren't you?"

Arin laughed turning away from the Freshman and Sophomores coughing breathlessly on the field.

Sitting back down on the bench. He picked up his clipboard and flipped through it.

"Gotta bring home another championship", Arin said, trying to pump up his companion as much as he was.

Jason. Jason was another senior that had been by his side since freshman year. Now, he was his right hand man. He was the greatest defender Arin knew. The guy for sure wasn't so big himself but he had excellent stick skills and is quick on his feet. He easily deflects and blocks passes like it's his life goal. He could easily take any guy that happened to be an inch or two taller or, an inch or two thicker.

Jason was a good guy, someone you wanted to be friends with. That gift came to use on the field. Arin swore that Jason could easily read and communicate with his teammates on the field. He was a class clown. Some girls found him a notch annoying but, they'd see him on the field and it was a whole different story. He didn't know how the guy did it. Ironically, the guy was also the most awkward person he met. He guessed others must've thought it was intentionally. He guessed it just worked for him.

"Umm... So who do you think's going to make it?" Jason asked grinning.

"Any top picks?" He added rubbing his head as he turned to the older group of guys.

Arin turned looking out to the field where the juniors and seniors sat on the unoccupied field already stretching and mentally preparing themselves for this important opportunity. They were already an hour early. Arin would've done the same though, it allowed him to check out his teammates, familiarize himself, make a good impression, and listen fro any tips of what could be ahead. Like he said, Lacrosse in this place was important.

The Juniors and Seniors stood out from their younger peers. There were a few 'non-belongers', some not as passionate or as ready to try out for Varsity. They still tried anyway. Unlike them, Arin already saw the stamina and confident concentration that the older team radiated. The others were Sophomores who'd be lucky if they even made it to Junior Varsity. He meant LUCKY.

Arin was sure they were more into the fact that they had been told cheerleaders loved their fellow lacrosse players.

Arin shook his head as he looked at the group of seniors huddled together, stretching in a synchronized matter. All of their faces he recognized since Pee Wee Lacrosse.

"I don't know", he clicked his tongue finally responding to Jason. He tapped his clipboard looking down at the names on the list. As he thought, he recognized about 87% of them.

"If I'm being honest, It's most likely the guys we've grown up with", he sighed. Looking at the group of guys who just finished up stretching and began to jog around the field in pairs of two.

Arin checked his watch: 3:13.

He turned his head to the younger tryouts. Good, they began working on V-Footwork, he guessed Coach finally made it. He looked around, finding no short- cap- wearing man. He must've left. He emailed Arin early saying he had a family emergency. It was up to Arin today.

"They've been waiting for this day. We all have", Arin nodded turning back to Jason.

"We all, sure as hell know that coach only ever picks Seniors for Varsity, only a few ever Juniors have made it. So guys who didn't make it last year unlike you and me. Have only this chance now."

Jason nodded understanding Arin

Theyboth knew it was true. For example, last year when voting for Varsity Captain almost all the team decided to make history and last year agreed to vote Arin for Captain. Even with all his votes, Arin didn't get picked. Until this year. It was just the way the coach was. Coach always supported the seniors to the fullest, giving them a better chance at a scholarship. Just like Arin. Just like that, colleges tried to scout him.

"It's not just about the teamwork we set up between each other throughout the years. To be honest, they're just the best out there. And there's only so many spots", Arin said with a sigh.

Jason nodded, "Yah, I know".

Anyone would kill to make Varsity.

Remembering something Arin Craned his neck, looking across the field again, searching.

"Looking for someone?", Jason asked curiously.

Arin coughed giving up, "No. I guess he's a no show. Nevermind, it's nothing".

---------------------------------;)----------------------------------------------------;)
P.N: The picture above shows an example of Arins' gorgeous eyes. They're pretty rare, they're the color of Amber, one of the rarest. Wanted to make his eyes this color because I wanted you readers to really see and feel the warnth in his eyes and connect his character to kindness. The actual inspiration was an old friend of mine who had these color eyes, we would constantly tell him how beautiful his eyes were and no one could really explain what color they were. Just a bright orange, sometimes brown, sometimes hazel, green, etc... That kid was always a fun person to hang around. I just wanted to give Arin that persona.

Add me on Instagram; dear, amateurs