nine

******************************

"You gave her your sweater, it's just polyester. But you like her better, I wish I were Heather."

******************************

Wednesday
7 February 1977
4:18 p.m.
Hogwarts Library

Sirius sat in the Hogwarts Library at almost half past four in the afternoon with a variety of books spread across the table. He had random papers spewed around and in the books and held his quill in his mouth as he searched through his transfiguration textbook.

Now, people who didn't know Sirius would think that he was just a normal student studying for a test or gathering research for an essay. But those who did know Sirius knew he didn't go that in-depth for only a silly essay. So if someone like James Potter would see Sirius reading excessively for only a stupid little assignment, they would probably go make sure that something wasn't wrong with the boy.

But that was just the thing. One day only a few months ago, Sirius woke up with a thirst for work. That day, he got through two essays that had been due the week before that he was still putting off, and another that was due a week later. For the last three months, if you needed Sirius Black for something that wasn't during classes, you would find him in the library.

This worried James to the point where he and Peter had to host an intervention for Sirius in their dormitory. All Sirius said before leaving was, "I guess I've only just started to care about my grades. Now, if you two don't mind, I have to go finish an essay." James obviously didn't believe him, but Sirius wasn't lying. That's what he thought had happened, that he just woke up one day ready to work. But that wasn't why he was doing it.

Sirius saw Remus everyday, as they lived together, and it pained him so much. He watched Remus kiss Heather so many times and he had to pretend to be happy for them while he was going insane over Remus. So, to occupy himself, he, well, he worked. He worked in the common room and their dormitory, but he still had to see Remus all the time.

Then the truth or dare incident happened.

After the whole Sirius blowing Remus at one in the morning fiasco, he decided to avoid Remus as much as he could. It pained Sirius to forget the incident like they had said they would. All he wanted to do was just kiss Remus. So, he isolated himself in the library so he wouldn't have to see Remus anymore, and after doing it for a whole month, James became quite nervous.

One day after classes ended, he went to the library in search for Sirius. He walked into the library and scanned the many sections for a few minutes, but eventually found Sirius at his usual table in the back. James walked over to Sirius who was still looking through his transfiguration textbook and stood in front of him. He waited for Sirius to notice him, but that didn't seem like it was going to happen soon, so James cleared his throat loudly, causing Madam Pince to shush him loudly. Sirius looked up at James for a second, but went back to staring at his textbook right after.

"Yes, Prongs? What is it?" Sirius said as he picked up a few papers.

"What's going on with you? I never see you anymore. You're always here."

Sirius scoffed a bit and reached across the table to grab his Potions textbook. "Nothing. I've just been busy."

"Bullshit. This is about Moony, isn't it?" James said while crossing his arms.