twenty-seven (end)

******************************

Saturday
25 June 1977
11:37 a.m.
The Hogwarts Express

Remus sighed as he gently raked his hand through Sirius' hair, the other holding a tattered copy of The Outsiders, reading intently as he sucked on the inside of his cheek.

It had been their last day of sixth year, and as a small send off, the four boys had pulled a prank on a group of Slytherins the night before.

What was the prank, you may ask?

James Potter and Sirius Black had shaved Dumbledore's fucking beard.

Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew could only watch in horror at the "surprise" the other two boys had told them to see.

And, how they did it?

None of them really know, actually. All four of the boys blacked out from the adrenaline.

It was a shock that they didn't get caught.

You could only imagine the barks of laughter coming from the Gryffindor table at breakfast the next day as Dumbledore made his way to the professor's table, Peter watching worriedly as Remus just rolled his eyes.

Dumbledore noticed them and smiled in their direction as he waved his hand, his beard suddenly growing back.

They both shut up after that.

So, finally, the Marauders sat in a compartment on the Hogwarts Express, James playing with his wand a bit as Peter slept next to him, his head resting against the window.

Sirius has fallen asleep as well and his head was resting on Remus' lap, and, as mentioned earlier, Remus' fingers tangled through his hair as he read quietly.

That is, until James clicked his tongue slightly and asked him a question.

"How in the name of Merlin do you two love each other so much?"

Remus laughed as he put his book down.

He opened his mouth to speak, but couldn't form any words. He didn't know what to say.

"You do love Lily, correct?" Remus asked, still combing through Sirius' hair softly.

James blushed. "I-I, well, I think. Yeah. She-She just doesn't exactly-"

"Like you back?" Remus finished, a smile tugging at his lips.

James nodded before he gulped.

"I think," Remus said as he looked down at Sirius, sighing slightly before he shook his head and laughed. "I think I would've died if I hadn't admitted that I loved Sirius by now."

James but his lip as he put his wand down. "But how? Don't you ever get, I don't know, annoyed by him?"

Remus laughed. "He annoys me every single day. But, I guess, I also annoy him."

Remus paused, as if he was thinking deeply as his eyes scanned over Sirius' face.

"The things that I love about Sirius overpower the annoying things. By a bloody lot, that is."