twenty-five

******************************

Monday
5 March 1977
8:02 a.m.
Great Hall

Sirius knew for a fact that he'd never felt happier in his life.

When he found out that Remus was under a love potion, it really did smack him in the face, but it was such a fucking relief to find out that his feelings for Heather were fake.

So, as he sat eating breakfast in the Great Hall, Remus' hand on his thigh as he read his book silently, James rambling on to Sirius and Peter about Lily's hair, he knew that he finally had all he'd ever want.

"Pads," James said softly, waving his hand lightly in front of Sirius' face. "You alright?"

He blushed a bit when he realized he had been zoning out, but Sirius still smiled and nodded as Remus looked up from his book, watching Sirius' movements for falters, anything that would signal that he was feeling off.

But there wasn't any. Because Sirius was telling the truth.

He was so alright. God, he had a spectacular boyfriend and two best friends that loved him dearly, and his high marks that term being unusually high was definitely a bonus.

Sirius Black was doing perfectly for once in his life.

He was doing so perfectly.

"Sorry," he said with a big smile. "I-I'm just dozing off. A bit tired, is all."

Remus' thumb began rubbing circles across Sirius' thigh, the taller boy's gaze never leaving Sirius.

Sirius felt as if he would melt.

"Okay," James said with a smile as well. "Just making sure." And with those words, he started to ramble again to Peter, turning completely away form Remus and Sirius.

Sirius sat staring at his lap for a moment, watching as Remus' thumb continued moving before biting back a squeal. He didn't dare lift his eyes, but he felt Remus suddenly shift, leaning in towards Sirius' ear.

"Are you actually alright," he asked lowly, his hot breath making the hairs on Sirius' neck stand up.

"Merlin, yes," he responded with a smile, finally turning to look up at Remus. He looked mildly worried, but once he saw Sirius' grin, he smiled as well. "I've never been this happy before, Moony."

Remus could only laugh. "Me neither."

It felt like an eternity, the two boys watching each other closely, gazes darting between lips and eyes. Sirius suddenly started laughing and turned away, picking at his breakfast sausage.

Remus felt his neck get pink, thinking he did something, and narrowed his eyes slightly. "What's so funny," he asked, but a grin found its way onto his face as well.

Sirius turned back to him and kissed him, making sure to pull away quickly because Merlin knows how needy Sirius would get. He rested his hand on Remus' shoulder and squeezed it lightly, eyes crinkling.

"I love you."

Remus smiled at his words, holding onto Sirius' hand and stroking it lightly. "I bet I love you more."