twenty-one

******************************

Wednesday
28 February 1977
4:13 p.m.
Sixth Year Boy's Dormitories
Room 5

Sirius sat on his bed in the dormitory, eyes closed and ready to take a nap. He'd been so overwhelmed that day, and he just wanted to take a break.

Until the door opened.

James walked over to his own bed and flopped down on it, groaning into his pillow.

Guess I'm not sleeping, then.

"What's the matter, Prongs," Sirius asked in a terribly strained tone.

James looked up from his pillow and sighed. "She hates me!"

"You've got to be more specific than that," he responded, rolling his eyes.

James threw one of his pillows at Sirius who laughed in response, but James didn't look amused.

"Evans."

Sirius scoffed. "Of course she hates you! She's hated you since first year! I still don't know how you managed to take her to the Ball."

Another groan fell out of James' lips and he covered his face with his hands. "She's just so perfect. I-I don't know what to do!"

Sirius sighed slightly, adjusting his pillow behind his head. "Stop talking to her."

James' head shot up. "What?"

"Well," Sirius said, sitting upright. "She's always annoyed when you talk to her. So stop talking to her."

Scoffing, James replied, "Oh yeah? And how's that supposed to get us together?"

Sirius shrugged. "Maybe after you finally take her advice after all these fucking years, she'll finally think, 'Wow! James Potter, he sure knows how to listen after six years of not!'"

James fell back against his pillow and sighed, rubbing his face with his hands. "Okay," he said quietly. "Talk-Talk to me about Moony."

Sirius laughed. "Why?"

James but his lip, swallowing the lump that was in his throat. "I feel terrible right now, and it makes me happy, you talking about Remus and how you love him."

Sirius smiled and raked his fingers through his hair. "What do you want me to talk about?"

James started stammering, and Sirius laughed. "All right, I'll choose," Sirius said. "Now, where to start?"

He thought for a moment before he spoke again. "What about my favorite thing about him?"

James mumbled slightly, but Sirius took that as a yes.

"My favorite thing about Remus is how bloody annoying he is," Sirius started, and James made a confused face which made Sirius laugh. "I'm sure he would say the same thing about me, honestly.

"So, yeah. Moony can be super fucking annoying. He's always telling me to do my work for Potions and DADA and Charms, he's always telling me about a new book he's reading and when I don't listen, he'll start to ignore me, and whenever I want to cuddle or something, he'll always be doing something else and say, 'Not now, Sirius.'