Tsukiyama: Distance

Yamaguchi walked out of the fortune teller's room with a heavy feeling of despair in his gut. 

"I can't believe you guys convinced me to do that," he said after paying the woman. Hinata and Yachi were patiently waiting on the couch in the foyer. They walked outside and sat on a bench so Yamaguchi could tell them what she said to him.

"Well, she told me that I'm meant to be a mentor or some sort of teacher in the future and that I'm currently at a crossroads with what I want to do." Hinata and Yachi nodded, very engaged. 

"I could see that for you. You could be a good elementary school teacher," Hinata mused while Yachi mumbled something about crossroads. 

"You do seem very confused," she said eventually. Yamaguchi shot her a look and she laughed. 

"She also said that my head and heart chakras are misaligned, whatever that means." Hinata and Yachi both nodded in agreement. 

"Yes, your brain knows what you should want but your heart disagrees," Yachi said very intelligently. 

"Pesky heart," Hinata added. Yamaguchi sighed. He didn't really want to say the next part, mostly because it was true. 

"She said that there was a lot of distance relationship-wise. And then she said there was one person I was hung up on..." Yamaguchi's eyes were glued to the pavement. 

"How did she know?" Hinata's eyes bulged out in surprise. 

"I don't know," Yamaguchi whined. "She said that I needed to take the first step and that I'm not confident in relationships."

"Well, you're not." Yamaguchi huffed indignantly. 

"Tadashi, you should not take any more steps."

"You've been through enough."

Yamaguchi looked at his two best friends. They were smiling sadly, mostly because they knew they were right. He shouldn't take anymore steps. Even he knew that. 

That didn't make it any easier. 

"You know it's kind of a coincidence that this happened on this day." Yamaguchi was looking up at the sky now, anything to avoid eye contact. 

"What do you mean by that?" Yachi asked seriously. He could hear the warning in her voice. He did not want to continue with this sentence. "Well, I might have, this morning, maybe, texted, um, uh, texted him." A collective groan came from his friends. 

"How could you do that, Tadashi?" Hinata clasped his hands together at his chest like he was pleading to some higher power to save him from Yamaguchi's stupidity. 

"What did you say?" Yachi asked, outwardly anguished. 

"I asked him if we could talk...?" he said tentatively. 

"And?" the two said almost in unison. 

"He said 'yeah sure' at 4:07pm today." It was now 8pm. "I have not said anything since."

"Of course you haven't," Yachi said, throwing her hands up in exasperation. 

"Hey! I can turn this around! This could fix everything!" Yamaguchi said defensively. 

"Sure, it could, pal." Hinata stood up and pat Yamaguchi on the back. Yamaguchi swallowed his dread. He really did not want to respond to that text. 

"How about we go get some ice cream, and then you can text him back later, okay?" Yachi stood up and put her hand on Yamaguchi's other shoulder. Sometimes Yachi and Hinata tended to act like Yamaguchi's parents. The two were both in stable relationships, and seemed to have their lives together, and Yamaguchi... well, his relationships were not stable nor was his life together. Sometimes he thought they felt bad for him. But they're his friends, and he knows that, so he doesn't think too hard about it. 

Haikyuu One ShotsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara