Chapter 36

Hello my darlings, this is a short little chapter! Next chapter will be longer, but this felt like a natural place to stop so, I did. I hope you guys like it, I haven't edited yet, enjoy!!! <3

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 36

I woke up to my heart racing and struggling to catch my breath.

"Mikaela," Trent's sleepy voice soothed. "You were having a nightmare." Trent's hand cupped my face and he brushed a few tears away that I didn't realize here there.

I sat up and pressed my back against the wall as I drew my knees up to my chest and rested my chin on my knees. My heart was still hammering against rib cage and I could feel the adrenaline rush slowing.

"You okay?" Trent asked cautiously.

I nodded as I hugged my knees a little tighter.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

I shook my head. "No."

Trent sat up and sat next to me. "Come here," Trent held his arms open to me. I nodded and scooted over. Trent wrapped an arm around my shoulder and one of his hands rested on my knee. My head rested on his shoulder. "It looked like it was a bad one."

I nodded and bit my lip as I tried to not think about it.

"I know you don't want to talk about it. What can I do to help?"

I shook my head. "I don't think there is anything." I mumbled. I felt exhausted now that the adrenaline rush was over.

"Do you want to try to get some more sleep?"

I shook my head. If I went back to sleep, chances were I'd just pick up where I left off.

Trent sighed and started moving away from me. I watched him confused. He got up and offered me a hand. "What are you doing?"

"Come with me," Trent offered with a smile.

"Where?"

"Come with me and you'll see."

I rolled my eyes but took his hand. He led me out to the back porch, and then to the fire pit from last night.

"What are we doing?"

"Look up." Trent smiled.

I did and gasped. "Oh wow," It was beautiful. We were far enough from the city that all the stars were visible. Millions of them, shining down like diamonds in the sky.

Trent wrapped his arms around me and I almost settled into it before I remembered I was mad at him. I shrugged out of his embrace and looked up at him. "None of that yet, we still need to talk."

"Fair enough," Trent sighed. He took my hand and led me over to one of the logs and we sat together. He waited patiently for me to start.

I stared up at the sky for a while. "Why did you lie and keep lying?"

"Because I'm a selfish asshole."

I turned to look at him. "Do you want to explain that?"

"I think it's obvious. I'm selfish. I see something, and I pursue it. It's how I've always been." Trent sighed. "It's not fair to you." Trent looked me in the eye. "You didn't deserve it, you're one of the most naive person I've ever met. And you try hard to be a good person. You're different. Now that you've met my family, you might understand why I wanted something different."