三: 𝕄𝕚𝕤𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕒

You faintly heard the chirping of birds in the distance. Beneath your eyelids, you saw the bright sunshine and squeezed your eyes shut, wanting more sleep.

It proved futile, however; so you blinked your eyes open, staring at the nightstand across from you.

Tucked and buried beneath your blankets, your mind was still heavy and drowsy with sleep.

Ah, the weather today is gorgeous, isn't it?

A whiff of a familiar scent invigorated you. Musk, caramel, and tea.

Then it hit you.

Your eyes flew wide open, all drowsiness cleared. Your mind was fully awake and your hand grasped your chest. You couldn't breathe couldn't breathe couldn't breathe couldn't breathe-

Saguru was dead. It all came back to you and hit you like a speeding truck.

You curled into an even tinier ball underneath the covers. There, you caught a glimpse of the long-sleeved white shirt you were wearing.

That was his as well. Another sharp pang sliced your heart into bits and pieces.

You debated whether you should spend the whole day beneath the covers. Your family would surely understand, right?

A knock came from the other side of your bedroom door.

"Go away," you grumbled.

"(Y/n), it's eleven am. The funeral starts at one pm."

You sat up straight in bed instantly. That's right. Today was the funeral. It had been exactly a week since Saguru died.

With a heavy heart, you begrudgingly peeled the covers off of you and stumbled to the closet. Your outfit was already sitting there.

A collared black dress that went down to your knees, a matching coal-black jacket, a pearl necklace, and a black leather cross-body bag.

You absentmindedly threw them on, fumbling with the necklace clasp for a bit before heading to the bathroom to brush your teeth and do your hair.

You pulled your hair back into a tight, conservative bun at the nape of your neck and began brushing your teeth. No makeup for you today with all the tears you'd be shedding. You didn't want black streaks of mascara dripping down your cheeks.

Once finished with brushing your teeth and drying your face, you headed downstairs, where your parents were waiting. On impulse, you retreated back to your room and grabbed the gold pocket watch, placing it inside your purse before heading downstairs again.

"I'll be going now," you said monotonously. "I have to pick up the flowers."

"No breakfast, (y/n)?" asked your mom. You shook your head and made your way toward the garage.

"(Y/n), please, have something to eat. You've barely eaten anything this past week," pleaded your dad.

You weren't hungry at all. After Saguru had died, you had lost your appetite. But you acquiesced to please your worried parents.

"Alright, fine."

Five minutes later, a plate of scrambled eggs was set in front of you. You mechanically chewed, tasting nothing and forcing yourself to swallow.

Setting down your fork, you head toward the utility room and slip on your shiny black heels you had bought just for today.

"I'm going now," you call out to your parents. "I'll see you in a little bit."

They waved goodbye through the door as you stuck the key into your car's ignition and pulled out of the driveway.

You barely paid attention to your surroundings as you sped across town toward the flower shop you had placed the order at. It was a miracle you didn't get in an accident or get pulled over.