六: 𝕃𝕠𝕤𝕥 𝕚𝕟 𝕋𝕣𝕒𝕟𝕤𝕝𝕒𝕥𝕚𝕠𝕟

You felt your heart drop into your stomach as fear washed over you. A cold sweat washed over you at the sight of a picture of yourself staring back at you.

"The last culprit is Ms. (y/n) herself."

***

You froze, not even blinking or breathing.

Wh- why? Crap...

You were fully aware of the stares directed at you. It didn't help that Saguru's dad was also present as well.

Shit... does he think I'm a suspect as well? And in the murder of his son as well... crap crap crap crap crap, this is the worst possible situation to be in!

"Please forgive us, Ms. (y/n)," interrupted Inspector Megure. "The nature of a crime scene doesn't allow us to exclude significant others just because they had a special relationship with the victim."

You hesitantly nodded, trying to calm yourself down.

"And truth be told, you're at the bottom of our suspect list right now. You're only included because of the one piece of evidence we found. At the crime scene, we found a few strands of hair lying on a pillow that clearly weren't Saguru's. We did some genetic profiling on them and finally determined that the strands of hair belonged to you."

The words took a while to sink into your mind and register.

"Oh. Well, two days before the murder, I had spent the night at his house. That could account for it. I have alibis to back my claim up. My mom, his housekeeper, and the security cameras were working at the time so you could cross-reference my claim with those."

"We'll be doing just that. And to be honest, we don't really think you're the culprit. Saguru never said a bad word about you and from what we've seen, you two don't seem to have any long-standing grudges against each other or anything else that could act as a motive for murder."

They turned away and carried on with the meeting. You slumped against your seat, recovering and taking deep breaths. You wiped your forearm against your forehead, removing the cold sweat that was dripping down your temples.

"You alright, (y/n)?" whispered Miwako. You discreetly shook your head.

"I don't know..."

Somehow, you managed to make it through the rest of the meeting. You were the first person out the door once the meeting was adjourned. You couldn't stand the stifling atmosphere in the room any longer and had to escape.

On the train, you kept getting weird looks due to your clearly distressed and disheveled appearance. You didn't care, however.

The moment you got home, you sprinted upstairs to your room and locked the door behind you. You quickly changed into something more comfortable and flopped onto your bed, curling into the tiniest ball you could manage underneath the covers. You felt something soft and furry brush your face and you snagged it between your fingers, pulling it to your chest and squeezing it.

You looked down at the soft and fuzzy thing in your arms after a bit. You instantly recognized it. It was a teddy bear wearing a taupe-colored trench coat, matching dress slacks, and a black scarf. It was a stuffed animal likeness of Saguru. Two years ago, you two had gotten stuffed animals made to look like each other and had given them to each other as presents.