十四: 𝔸𝕤𝕙𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕠 𝔸𝕤𝕙𝕖𝕤, 𝔻𝕦𝕤𝕥 𝕥𝕠 𝔻𝕦𝕤𝕥

You felt yourself being shaken awake. Groaning, you rubbed your eyes and blinked them open to see the familiar face of your fellow inmate.

"Heya, (y/n). It's almost time for breakfast. Heard it's the good stuff today."

You slowly eased yourself into a sitting position and swung your legs over the edge of the bed. You took this opportunity to stretch your back.

"Finally," you grumbled as you slid your orange uniform on and tied the jacket around your waist. "All the stuff they've been serving recently has been god-awful."

You glanced at the clock sitting above the steel bars. You had about fifteen minutes until breakfast started.

Flopping back onto your cot, you pulled out the journal from beneath your pillow and unlocked it.

"Reading over your boyfriend's journal again?" asked your roommate. You scoffed and glared at her.

"I'm on the last one right now. Shut it."

It had been about two months since you turned yourself in. As promised by Miwako, you didn't hear anything about yourself in the news. For the most part, life was pretty decent, surprisingly. You got along well with all the other inmates and you were frequently invited to sit with them during meals. You had grown to know your roommate, Hina, quite well. She was in jail for murdering her abusive stepdad that had molested her for her entire life. She was in her early 20s as well, which made it easier for you to connect because you were around the same age.

You flipped to the last entry of the journal, in which there were only a few paragraphs worth of text. You also noticed it wasn't dated.

That's weird... I remember the last entry being dated to half an hour before he died. Did he purposely write this before that at the very end?

You shook your head and began reading. You were one of the closest people to Hakuba Saguru, but you couldn't fully understand the workings of his mind all the time.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Tell me, have you ever heard of that proverb before, my dearest (y/n)? You probably have, knowing just how smart you are. But in case you didn't, it means that we return to the state we came from: dust. The Bible- Genesis 3:19, to be precise- uses it to refer to man's temporal nature and feeble composition. Everything that has life will eventually come to an end and die one day. The circle of life stops for nobody. It continues unceasingly, destroying the old and ushering in the new. Rinse, lather, and repeat.

All's well that ends well. The outcome of this situation was uncertain and was most certainly going to be unpleasant, but know that I am very proud of you. I know it is difficult, but you have done the right thing and for that, I am so proud of you; more than what words can express.

With much love,
- H. Saguru

You felt something wet rolling down your cheeks.

"Eh? (Y/n), are you crying?"

Hina scurried over and wiped at your eyes with a tissue.

"What's the matter?"

"... He said he was proud of me."

She didn't peep at your journal; she knew how important it was to you, but she patted your back and hugged you.

"I'm sure he is. After all, you're the fucking (y/n) (l/n). Now come on, we're gonna be late for breakfast!"

You wiped your eyes and got out, putting your shoes on and chasing after her.

"Yeah. You're right. I'm sure he's proud of me, even now."

🎉 You've finished reading 𝔸𝕤𝕙𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕠 𝔸𝕤𝕙𝕖𝕤, 𝔻𝕦𝕤𝕥 𝕥𝕠 𝔻𝕦𝕤𝕥 |ℍ𝕒𝕜𝕦𝕓𝕒 𝕊𝕒𝕘𝕦𝕣𝕦| 🎉