四: ℂ𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕥 ℝ𝕖𝕔𝕠𝕣𝕕𝕤 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝔼𝕟𝕘𝕝𝕚𝕤𝕙 𝔼𝕤𝕤𝕒𝕪𝕤

The loud screeching that belonged to Watson jolted you out of your pleasant dreams.

"Jesus Christ... scaring me like that," you mutter as you climb out of bed and shuffle over to the cage, shivering from the absence of your warm blankets. "Alright, alright, I'll feed you."

You scoop some food into her bowl. Immediately, she shot down from her perch and began pecking at it, letting out a loud screech at you once she was done that rattled your eardrums and made you wince.

You slid on the thick leather glove and held your arm out. She ruffled her wings and landed nimbly on your forearm a few seconds later. You stroked the top of her head as she affectionately nipped your cheek.

"Ack... that hurt, Watson," you muttered as she fluttered back to her cage.

Now that you had finished feeding Watson, it was time for you to get some breakfast as well.

Ensuring that she was safely in her cage, you went downstairs, tossing on a bathrobe to keep you warm.

Your parents were both at work. A note was sitting on the kitchen counter in your mom's handwriting.

Dear (y/n),

Good morning, sweetie! Your dad and I had to leave early for work, so cook something simple for breakfast. Maybe scramble an egg or two. See you in the afternoon.

Love, mom.

You nodded after you had finished reading the note.

"I'll scramble two eggs... I'm kinda in the mood for some right now," you say as you pull the fridge door open and pull out the carton of eggs. You popped open the lid and pulled out two at random before placing the carton back in the fridge.

You fired up the gas and placed a frying pan on the stovetop, drizzling a bit of oil in and waiting for it to heat up. In the meantime, you scrolled through your phone, looking at all the recent news coverage of Saguru's death.

You opened up the most recent NHK broadcast of his death. It was filmed early this morning and his death was still breaking news, even though it had been over a week.

"The death of the young detective Saguru Hakuba is still currently under investigation," began the reporter as the screen in the background showed footage of forensics combing his room. "No new leads have been discovered and the police have declined an interview. However, the Chief Superintendent has said there will be an official task force briefing tomorrow at noon."

That caught your attention as you slid the eggs out the frying pan onto your plate. Bringing your plate over to the dining table, you set it down and ended the broadcast playing on your phone. You scrolled through your contacts and found who you were looking for after a few seconds.

Miwako Sato.

You called her and pressed the phone to your ear, waiting for her to pick up. You had gotten her number from Saguru, and while he didn't associate much with Inspector Megure, as he came to Japan primarily to catch Kaito Kid, he did solve an odd murder case here and there.

She picked up after a few rings.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Ms. Sato. It's me, (y/n)."

You heard her voice brighten on the other end.

"Oh, hey there, (y/n). How ya doing?"

You heard the clink of coins in the background and heard her mutter a curse under her breath.

"Ah, I'm doing alright, thanks for asking."

You liked talking to Miwako the most out of all the people in the task force. She was easygoing and amicable, and most importantly, didn't treat you as a kid.