十: 𝕄𝕣. 𝕎𝕠𝕣𝕝𝕕𝕨𝕚𝕕𝕖

An airplane zoomed down the runway and right next to the window, making the ground rumble and distracting you from your phone.

It had been a week since the discovery of the newfound sum of cash Saguru had given to you. In that week, you had deposited all of the cash in separate transactions and had prepared for this trip. Kaito had given you a mini masterclass on how to imitate voices and how to forge signatures and imitate handwriting. This newly-acquired skill- which you had quickly mastered, much to your surprise- allowed you to excuse yourself from school without raising any suspicion, as you phoned in as your mom and sent a note in her handwriting.

While you were depositing all that cash over the course of the week, you had noticed something just a few days ago when you were going over your bank account history.

There had been deposits from another party that totaled 100,000 yen.

You had no idea who it was from, but you were thankful that you had some backup cash in case anything went wrong.

You went back to looking at your phone when it vibrated from an incoming call. You recognized the number instantly.

"A call from Miwako? What's this all about?" you asked yourself as you picked it up and answered it.

"Hello, (y/n) speaking."

"Hey, (y/n). I've got good news for you!"

You hesitated a bit.

Good news? Good news about what?

"Well, what is it then?"

"You've been cleared from the list of suspects!"

You froze. Your hand was halfway on its destination to scratch an itch on your neck, but it stopped in midair.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"That's right, (y/n). You've been cleared from the list of suspects. I just heard the news today from someone else. They analyzed all the evidence and cross-examined alibis and statements and found that you weren't guilty."

You were speechless. Finally, this burden that had been weighing you down ever since this started had been removed,

Letting out a deep sigh, you finally spoke.

"Wow. Just, wow. Thanks for letting me know, Miwako."

"Any time. By the way, where are you right now? Your background noise is kinda loud."

You froze. You couldn't exactly let her know you were at the airport. A bunch of follow-up questions was going to follow for sure.

"I'm at a... school assembly right now."

"Ah, I see. I better hang up now then, don't want you getting in trouble for using your phone during school, after all. See ya!"

Beeping on the other end told you she had hung up. You exhaled a breath you didn't know you had been holding in and placed your phone in your pocket.

Surely that won't be exposed, right? I mean, it was just a little white lie. Can't be that bad, can it?

You glanced down at the backpack that was your carry-on bag, then out the window at the white airplane parked outside, refueling.

This was going to take a while.

***

"Whew, I finally made it!"

You flopped onto the bed, utterly exhausted after the flight. You had just finished checking into your hotel and all you wanted to do was take a nap.