THE ART OF QUARRELLING

20th of March 1976

"So, you want to go with me and Rach to Hogsmeade?" Cynthia asked her.

"I already told you I'm in detention, Cyn." Beth shook her head.

"Can you somehow talk your way out of this?" She begged her.

"She's not that good of a talker." The short blonde rolled her eyes.

"Thank for believing in me, Rachel." She answered. "You could just ask your daddy and he would excuse you from any trouble."

"Yeah, he would." She gave her a bittersweet smile. "Just before finding me a rich husband." The girl was aware that her parents were planning her marriage since the day she was born. She knew exactly that won't ever have a chance to marry a boy she loved. She will end up with some pure-blood, rich asshole that she doesn't even like.

"Dad of a year." Beth joked ironically.

"Maybe... I don't want to marry someone just because he has money and good name..." She said with voice her mother used when she wanted a new purse. Constantine Cole thought her only daughter how to act in every situation in order to get what she wanted. Rachel looked sadly at marauders laughing at the end of a hallway. "Maybe I want to enjoy life. Maybe I don't want to pretend that I actually like someone."

"I won't ever get married." Beth announced. "Marriage is a patriarchal institution to make a woman miserable and unable to make any decisions on their own."

"It's not!" Cynthia protested. "It's just two people that love each other and want to spend their lives together."

"Or two people forced to spend their lives together because everything is about money and social position."

"I hate you two." Girl said.

"I love you too, Cyn." Beth kissed her cheek. "I need to get my ass the detention."

"Bye..." Her friend answered and smiled at her kindly.

Elizabeth unhurriedly got to McGonagall's office. It took her probably twice as long as it should.

"Sorry, I'm late." She entered the room.

"Miss Potter, are you seriously..." Sirius giggled like a little child at that word. "Late for the detention, you got for being late?

"Oh, I'm sorry Professor." She smiled. "I guess the Hogwarts' resocialization system isn't the best. Maybe you should try putting as in calls or..."

"One more word and you gonna spend here another Saturday." Beth raised her hands in act of surrender and sat next to Black. "As I was saying you're free after this classroom is cleaned up. Wands"

"Yes, professor." They both said quietly and passed her their wands.

"Great." She smiled and left.

"Are we're really supposed to clean?" The girl raised her eyebrow.

"I'm here every week for three years now. It's the tidiest class in school." He answered and stood up.

"What did you do?" She sat on the table watching as he grabbed two cleaning cloths from the shelf.

"Nothing..." He thought the piece of material to her letting her know he didn't wanted to talk about it. 

"Come on!" She laughed, of course, she was not about to let go. She was way too stubborn and curious.

"Just a prank." He looked away in something close to embarrassment. 

"My brother would be here if it was a prank." Beth noticed and moved closer to him. "Tell me the truth, Sirius Orion Black."

"Okay, I shagged a girl in the broom closet." He said with a groan. "Help me cleaning, would you?"