A GOOD PERSON

10th of May 1976

Sitting alone in a white hospital hallway was more than terrifying.

Beth felt the disturbing pain in her chest making her gag on air. She was helpless in every possible meaning of that word. She just wanted to cry, but there were no tears left in her eyes.

She had no idea how she ended up in this situation. A few hours ago she was helping Lily pick a dress and everything was fine.

Where the fuck was James?

She lit a cigarette with shaking hands and inhaled the smoke to calm herself down.

"Miss?" The nurse walked out of the room and looked at her. "You can't smoke here."

"Sorry." She drew on a cigarette last time and put it down.

"Aren't you a bit too young to smoke?" The woman raised her eyebrow.

"How... How is my dad?" She ignored the question.

"He needs to rest." She sat next to her. "You're brave, you know? You took care of everything. I don't know many young girls that would be strong enough to get through something like that alone."

"I didn't have much choice, did I?" She looked at her sadly.

"Is there anyone else you can call? You brother still haven't responded so..."

"My mom is away." She added. "Health resort. I don't want to worry her." She answered knowing that only family can visit. Stupid war. Stupid war-rules. "I will tell her. I will call her in the morning..."

"How about a friend? Hm?" She smiled. Beth looked at her and realised how pretty she was. She was a dark-skinned woman around 30 with full lips and short curly hair under the white cap. She was tired but still managed to look brightly. Patty - girl read identity card on her uniform, she looked like Patty. "I should not allow you to but..."

"Could I... Could I call someone?" Potter asked. "From my school."

"Sure, darling." Patty stood up. "I'm gonna contact a teacher then, so she could inform your friend. Who should I ask for?"

Beth loudly swallowed the split. She should ask Rachel or Cynthia to come. Or even Dorcas. They were her best friends. Closest friends. That would be the rational choice, wouldn't it be?

"Sirius Black." She whispered realising how stupid did she choose. He doesn't even like her. Why would she ask him to come?

"Okay." A nurse once again smiled and patted her arm. "Hang in there, sugar."

"Thanks." She murmured and covered her face in hands for a moment. She was tired. Really fucking tired.

She wasn't really sure how long it took before she heard footsteps. Time stopped really flowing in a regular way for her. She was not sure if she talked with Patty hours or seconds ago. Patty was so pretty - she remembered before looking up.

Sirius fucking Black was standing on the end of the hallway.

"Lizzy." He walked closer to her.

She stood up and looked at him. "My... My dad... The death eaters... They..."

"I know... I know, Lizzy." He pulled her tiny, shaking body into a hug and kissed her forehead, surprising himself. He never really was good with things like that. His family never taught him gestures like that, but just seeing her like that... That was enough for Sirius Black to want to hide her in his arms from the world. He wanted to never let her go. "It's gonna be okay..."