Chapter 4: Friends

Keeley's POV

After Ryder left, I didn't know what to do with myself. For once, I was actually flustered. He seemed normal and just... I don't know how to explain it. He made me feel something, and that wasn't okay. I'm not supposed to do relationships. I can't do relationships. But here I am three new friends and... whatever Ryder is. 

I headed downstairs to find Gus, considering I hadn't seen him since I left this morning, and when I got to the bottom of the stairs, I could see him curled up on the sofa in the living room.

"Quid agis, Gus?" I cooed to my best boy. His head popped up when he heard my voice.
(How are you, Gus?)

I sat down and waited on the floor for him to come over so I could scratch his head. My Gus, the only constant in my life.

When he got to me, he plopped down and laid his head in my lap.

I heard loud thumps coming down the stairs, and as I turned my head, I saw Callan walking towards me quite sheepishly. He slowly sat down beside me and for a moment, neither of us spoke. Eventually, it was him to first speak up.

"I'm really sorry about losing my cool there, Keeley. I didn't want you to feel bad, I just freaked after hearing about you, ya know, giving a girl a bloody nose. I just worry." His eyes wouldn't meet mine, and I could tell he felt bad. To be honest, I was more upset at myself than him. I hate looking weak, and I directed all my feelings towards him.

"I'm sorry, too, Bubba. It's just... these past years have been difficult for me." His head turned to me and I looked away quickly before he could see the pain in my eyes. "Whenever something that even relates to it comes up, I lose my shit. I shouldn't have caused a scene."

I focused my eyes on Gus, but I could tell he was focused on me. "What happened, Keeley?" he asked in a way that sounded like it physically hurt him. I sat for a few seconds before deciding to answer him.

"I'm not ready for that talk yet, Cal. It's... it's just something I don't want to share." As I said the last part, I forced myself to look at him. He looked worried and like he wanted to push the questions further, but instead, he simply gave me a nod before pulling me into his bear-like frame.

"Did anyone tell our father?" I ask shyly, silently praying nobody did.

He lets out a light chuckle. "No, Munch. Nick told us that he would handle everything so Dad wouldn't get involved."

I feel relieved at his comment, but I feel even more relieved at the idea that Nick may not be out to get me after all.

***

I couldn't move, nor did I want to. My shoulders were sore from being chained above my head for so long. I could feel the blood trickling down my face and sides from the lashings and beatings they gave me, and any sort of breathing I did burned my body from my broken ribs.

My body couldn't take much more. I couldn't take much more, and by this point, I was sure I was going to die before I could get out of here.

The metal door to my cell opened from behind me, causing my eyes to squint and blink back the fluorescent light that was emitting from the hallway.

"Has my dear Kitten finally calmed down after yesterday?" he snickered while dragging a calloused hand over my body. Today there was a hunger in his devilish eyes I hadn't seen before, and if I'm being honest, it terrifies me.

"Because as much as I love you, my dear Keeley, I won't hesitate to hurt you."

I'm not even sure why he's here. He never comes two days in a row, and his presence, today, caused a whole new set of nerves to rake through my body.