THREE

When Sophie opened her locker after Theater class, she found a pair of black shorts, an orange t-shirt, and black and orange sneakers.

"What are these?" She asked Dex, holding up the clothes. "And how'd they get in my locker?"

Dex grinned. "They're your gym clothes. The teachers put them in our lockers while we're in our third block class."

Sophie groaned. "What's the punishment for not wearing them?"

"Five days of I.S.S."

"Not worth it," Sophie said, shutting her locker and walking to the locker-room. There were a ton of girls already in there. They were doing their hair and complaining about the outfits.

And Sophie had to agree with them.

After Sophie had changed, she stood in front of the mirror for a while, trying to figure out what to do with her hair. The problem was she hadn't brought a hair-tie.

While Sophie was staring at herself in the mirror, two girls came out of the stalls in the locker-room.

One of them Sophie recognized: Maruca Endal.

The other one, Sophie had never seen before. She had chocolate brown hair that had been put into a braid and bright teal eyes. Her heart-shaped lips had pink gloss on them, and she was probably the prettiest person on the face of the earth.

The two girls stared a Sophie for a while, before she teal-eyed girl whispered to Maruca. Maruca nodded and the other girl smiled.

"You must be the new girl," She said. "Sophie, right?"

Sophie nodded.

"I'm Biana Vacker, and this is my friend, Maruca."

Sophie wanted to say: Yeah, we've met, but she bit her tongue.

"You look like you're having a little trouble with your hair," Biana pointed out. "We could help you with it,"

Sophie smiled, shaking her head. "Oh, it's no big deal—it's just P.E."

"There's no such thing as 'no big deal' when it comes to your looks, Sophie." Biana said, pulling a hairbrush and a couple of hair-ties out of her purse. "Here, let us help you,"

Sophie couldn't really argue as Biana started brushing out her hair, and Maruca made suggestions off to the side.

§§§

"You do realize this is gym class, right? Not a beauty pageant?" Dex asked her, eyeing the intricate braided-ponytail Biana had done her hair in.

Sophie sighed. "I know—I was just bombarded in the girls' locker-room. I swear people care way too much about how they look."

Dex laughed before waving over at Marella, Linh, and Tam as they came through the auditorium doors.

"Have you thought of any ideas for the skit, Sophie?" Linh asked, sitting beside her in the stands.

"What skit?" Marella asked, sitting down.

"Me, Tam, Wylie, Jensi, and Sophie are doing a skit in Theater class," Linh explained. "Sophie came up with the idea,"

"Which is...?" Dex questioned. 

     "Stereotypes in High-school," Tam said, taking over. "Linh going to play the shy girl, I'm going to be the Emo-guy, and Sophie's the Preppy-Princess-Girl."