TWENTY-SEVEN

Sophie wanted to, but didn't want to go to Mr. K's funeral.

She dressed in a black dress with some flats and her hair was put in a braid. She didn't feel like dressing up for something so terrible, but she knew it was for respect.

When they'd all gotten in the car and drove to the dark and unhappy cemetery, Sophie was even less thrilled to be there.

When they arrived, everyone sat around the solid marble casket. There were tears as they listened to the preacher talk about Mr. K's life.

Sophie listened to all the good things Mr. K had done throughout his lifetime and all the friends he'd made. It was really touching, and it made Sophie want to be a better person now. But she knew no one was perfect.

Sophie felt tears fall down her face as the minister tossed dirt on his casket before saying a few final words before signaling everyone to disperse.

People hugged and kissed and left and talked, and it made Sophie feel like she was going to throw up. She had to get out of there.

She was about to run toward the exit when she felt and hand on her shoulder. She turned around and saw Fitz giving her a sad smile.

"Follow me," He said, holding her hand and guiding her through the crowd of people and to a small tree in a grassy clearing. It looked way too cheerful and pretty for a sad day.

"Is that better?" He asked, sitting down next to Sophie beside the tree. "I could tell you looked a little uncomfortable,"

Sophie blew out a breath as she nodded. "Thanks Fitz,"

She looked over to the burial site, watching people interact with each other. She saw Grady and Edaline talking with a few people, so she had time to sit in peace.

"I hate this," She said, looking down at her hands. "And right before Christmas break—why did it have to happen?" She said the last part looking at Fitz.

Fitz shrugged. "I...I don't know—and I agree. It's totally unfair." He said, scooting a little closer to her and wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "But I'm always here if you need to talk Sophie—I hope you know that,"

Sophie nodded before resting her head on his shoulder. And they sat there for a long time, just in silence.

Then Keefe walked by.

"Hey guys," Keefe said, looking sad, but not even caring that Sophie and Fitz were being all cuddly.

"Hey," They both said miserably.

Soon Biana, Dex, Tam, and Linh came over, sitting near the tree in silence. But it didn't seem awkward, it felt right. Like they were honoring Mr. K's death with a half hour of silence.

But once that half hour was over they all went home, and Sophie wished she still had Fitz's shoulder to rest her head on—but her pillow would have to do.

Sophie's parents left her alone for the rest of the day—and Sophie was eternally grateful for that—but it left her with nothing to do.

She moped around for a couple of minutes, before going to her window, but Keefe's light was off and she couldn't see him anywhere. Then she checked the time and decided it was time to take a shower—even though it was only 3:45 in the afternoon.

After her shower she decided to write her Christmas list that Edaline had been begging her to do for the past couple of weeks.

She only asked for three things: