TWENTY-FOUR

This is legit my favorite chapter!!!

"But you guys almost kissed," Keefe said with a shudder as they walked down a trail at Sophie's house that night. "Do you know how...awkward that is?"

Sophie sighed. "Keefe, what side are you on? First you tell me that Fitz really likes me and that everything's cool, and now your like 'Ew, you guys almost kissed!' What's up with that?"

Keefe ran a hand through his hair. "I'm not 'on a side' Foster, I just—ugh! It's weird, and real hard to explain."

"Well can you try?" She asked, totally confused about everything now.

Keefe huffed a sigh before finally saying, "Well, I mean that it's fine—I guess—if you and the Fitzter were to click, but do you know how weird it would be to see my friend kissing my friends friend?"

"You lost me at the first friend," She said, staring at him, totally confused.

Keefe sighed again. "Just forget it Foster, I'll try to understand it myself one day—and when I do, I'll tell you."

Sophie nodded. "Alright," Then after a minute of walking quietly, Sophie said, "Why don't we start circling back around—it's late,"

Keefe nodded, looking up at the dark sky before following Sophie back down the trail and to her front porch.

"Bye Keefe," Sophie said, giving him a quick hug. "I'll see you tomorrow,"

"Bye Foster," He smiled, hugging her back.

Sophie waited until Keefe had finally gone into his own house before she went into hers and went to bed, hoping to dream of something that would untangle the love-web she was in.

§§§

When Sophie woke the next morning, the first thing she thought of was Keefe.

She honestly had no idea why, but when she opened her eyes, she wanted to talk to Keefe. So that's what she tried to do.

She hopped out of bed and ran to her window, undraping the curtains and opening the window so she could see Keefe that morning.

And what she saw was definitely Keefe, but not something she specifically wanted to see.

At the moment, Keefe was taking off his pajama shirt and was looking for a school-shirt in his desk-of-drawers—which was ever so conveniently beside of his window. So now Sophie had a great view of Keefe and his shirtless-ness.

Sophie tried to pull down the window, but before she could, Keefe looked over and saw her looking at him.

His faced turned red—and Sophie's probably did too—but they just stared at each other for a very long time, before Edaline called for Sophie.

"Coming!" Sophie yelled back, realizing she hadn't even gotten ready for school that day.

Sophie quickly slipped on some clothes, stuffed her hairbrush, toothbrush, and toothpaste in her book bag before running down the stairs and into the car.

"You look like you've seen a ghost," Edaline said with a laugh as they drove to the school. "Everything alright?"

"Yeah," Sophie said through a sigh. "I'm fine,"

Sufficed to say that Sophie and Keefe didn't even look at each other the whole day, and thankfully, no one noticed the awkwardness between them.