TWELVE

"Good morning students!" Dame Alina's voice echoed through the room that morning. "I have some quick, special announcements I would like to say: Last year—in the first semester—we only had three total go to I.S.S., and this year in the first semester we've had five. Students, I am encouraging you to do better by raising the stakes. If you have not been in I.S.S. or if you did your best on you midterm tests you'll get to go to the Winter Gala."

There were cheers mixed in with groans (and Sophie was definitely one of the groaners) as Dame Alina finished her speech.

"That's all he announcements for today. I hope you have a wonderful morning. Bye-bye!" Then she left the stage without another word.

As people left to go to their classes, Sophie sighed. "I really wanted to go to that dance," She complained.

"Eh," Keefe said, standing up beside her. "We can have our own party Foster! We don't need them."

"But what about Fitz?"

"Yeah," Fitz said with a smile. "What about me? You're just going to leave me by myself?"

In the past few weeks Sophie had actually gotten to know Keefe and Fitz a lot better. It was like they had their own little group inside of a bigger group. Keefe was the crazy person, Fitz was the voice of reason, and Sophie made all the rational decisions. It was kind of cool.

Keefe shrugged. "I guess I could think of a few ways to get you in trouble," He rubbed his hands together.

"I'll pass," Fitz said before turning to Sophie. "Do you want me to walk you to class?"

Sophie smiled. "Yeah, thanks,"

Also in the past few weeks, Fitz had been visiting her house and helping her with homework—even though she really didn't need that much help. She's also realized a weird flutter in her heart every time Fitz looked at her or said her name. Sophie really thought she liked Fitz.

"And I guess I'm chopped liver," Keefe mumbled, but he still had a smile on his face.

Fitz shook his head. "You can walk her to class tomorrow—we can take turns."

Keefe grinned. "You got yourself a deal Fitzy! See you two at Lunch!" Then Keefe walked away.

"Your first class is algebra, right?" Fitz asked as he walked her to her locker.

Sophie nodded, putting in her combination and getting her stuff. But when she shut her locker she saw words written in red marker on the front of her locker:

Preppy Princess Brat!

And Sophie new exactly who wrote it. Tears stung her eyes, but she promised herself not to cry.

"Who did that?" Fitz asked, his voice filled with anger.

Sophie let out a shaky breath. "One of my...old friends," She said.

Fitz just looked at her for a second before pulling her into a hug, causing people to whisper around them. But honestly, Sophie didn't care. She just wanted to go home.

"Aw, look at the two little preppy kids,"

Sophie turned around and saw Marella, Stina, and a few of her cronies staring at her and Fitz. "Do you like the present Tam left you?" She asked with a smile.

Sophie was about to turn around and ignore her, but Fitz grabbed her hand and glared at Marella. "Why would you guys do something like that?" He asked. "Sophie didn't do anything to you,"