SEVEN

"I don't think I'm ever going to get used to this," Sophie said after repeatedly tripping over herself in her new crutches. "I think I'll just walk around on my cast," She motioned to the bright blue cast around her leg.

"You'll never get better if you do that," Edaline said, grabbing Sophie's bag. "Maybe they'll have a wheelchair you can use."

Sophie nodded, walking toward the car. "I hope so,"

Edaline let out a small laugh before getting in the car and driving her to school. Dex would probably be a little disappointed when she didn't get on the bus, but she'd explain to him at school.

"Thank you, Edaline," Sophie said, opening the car. "For driving me to school,"

"No problem," Edaline said with a smile. "Well, have good day—I'll pick you up this afternoon."

Sophie nodded before getting out of the car, shutting the door, and hobbling her way toward the auditorium. But as Sophie walked past the threshold, she fumbled on her own feet. She lost her balance and fell forward. And she probably would've fallen on her face if someone hadn't grabbed her shoulders and stopped her.

Sophie looked up to see twinkling teal eyes and a heroic smile.

"Fitz," Sophie breathed, accidentally still staring at him.

"Hey Sophie," He said.

"You caught me," She whispered, probably stating the obvious. "Thank you,"

Fitz let out a small laugh. "It's a good thing I came at the right time. You're welcome, but it's really no big deal. Every princess needs a heroic prince to save her."

Sophie eyes got wide, and it took her a second to realize that she was still standing at an incline and Fitz was still holding her up.

"Oh, well, thank you anyway." She did her best to stand back upright, but it was extremely difficult.

"Here," Fitz said, gripping her shoulders tighter as her held her steady. "There you go,"

Sophie smiled, and she was tempted to say thank you again, but before she could she met eyes with a pair of recognizable blue eyes.

"I should probably get to my seat," She glanced at Dex who was glaring at Fitz.

Fitz smiled. "Well then let me assist you," He placed a hand on Sophie's back and then started walking forward, causing Sophie to crutch along with him. "Where do you want to sit?"

"Uh," Sophie said, she glanced at Dex who was now in a conversation with Tam and Linh. "It doesn't matter," She said. She'd just have to explain to Dex later.

Fitz shrugged before guiding Sophie to the other side of the auditorium and into a plush chair, surrounded by unfamiliar faces.

Except a few people.

"Sophie!" Biana, Maruca and Wylie all exclaimed at the same time Keefe said, "Foster!"

"Hey," She said timidly, trying to hide behind her hair.

"What happened to you?" Biana asked, eyeing her cast.

Sophie felt her cheeks get red. "I—uh fell off of a fence and fractured my leg."

Everyone stared at her for a second before Keefe said, "Well, you and the Fitzter don't have any classes together, so who's gonna help you?"

"I don't really need help. I'm sure I'll be fine—"