Chapter One

It had been a decade ago when the trouble first started, on the planet of Galaveri, which was about to be swallowed by one of its suns, it should be noted. Aurora's life up until this point had been fairly ordinary, but now...it was not. Everything was about to change for her, whether she had expected such a thing to happen or not. The current situation had made everything very surreal for Aurora and the remainder of the Galaver population. "We have to go Aura. We have to go, now!" Her mother had called out to her, when she was only eight years old, human-equivalency being accounted for. 

"What's happening, mama? What's happening?" Aurora asked, her voice filled with concern as she looked towards the woman she had become so reliant upon throughout her life. 

"Our planet is no longer safe, Aura. You have to go," her mother told her. 

"Where's father?" She asked her mother, but to no avail. 

"He...he's gone, Aura. You're the priority now. You're one of the youngest. You will get on board one of these ships with the rest of the crew now, alright?  You're going to be taken care of," her mother said. 

Aurora had to accept one very clear fact as she looked towards her mother. She was correct in what she had told her. She was going to be taken care of, but not by her mother. Her mother had to stay behind. The governmental officials and children were given first priority, followed by female members of the Galaver population, if class was taken into account. One thing was unfortunate for Aurora in that regard. She had never been part of the higher classes, and as such she was well-aware of the fact that she was the only member of her family that was going to make it. That is, if the space crafts could be relied upon. 

Aurora may have been young, but she certainly was not naive. Her mother had tears in her eyes, and something suddenly became unfortunately clear. Her mother was not going to make the journey with her. She was going to be left behind. Her father and mother both sending her away in a space craft to a future that felt so frightening and uncertain for the young Aurora. Nonetheless, she knew that she had to do this for her mother, and tried to bite back the tears threatening to run from her eyes in the same way that her entire community was now racing away from a hostile planet. She turned to her mother and swallowed with the slightest anxiety. The rest of Aurora was filled with pure determination to live. This was it, now. The planet had been alive for billions of years, and this was what was destined to happen. Life forms were no longer going to be able to withstand the increasing temperatures. She had to leave in order to survive. 

Her mother led her quickly to one of the large space crafts, where several other Galavers were currently boarding, and grabbed Aurora's hand in a firm grip. 

"Listen to me, alright, Aurora? I love you, very, very much darling. You have to be brave now, alright? You have to keep going no matter what happens and never surrender, no matter what." Her mother had told her those words that day ten years ago, and Aurora would not soon forget them. Her mother meant all the world to Aurora, and though she was fearful about what the future would bring, the most heartwrenching part in all of this was the fact that this was it. This was the goodbye. 

"Get on board now, please," one of the officials stated in his dreary tone. 

"You've got to go, Aura! You've got to," her mother said. 

"I know. I know. I love you mother." Aurora said, and quickly wrapped her arms around her mother, clenching back the tears with determination as she quickly headed onboard the space craft- the NS29. She caught the name of it on the side panel. 

The door closed behind her, and everything all of a sudden went quiet and dark. She was the final child on this ship. There had been several ships in total, and Aurora remained just slightly hopeful that her father would have been able to board one of them, but she didn't want to be too optimistic about such a matter.