Chapter Fifteen

Aurora was still trying to calm down after seeing Colt almost die from poisoning, from the villainous Christoph, but she couldn't easily shake such an image from her brain. More difficult to shake from her brain, however, was the memory of kissing him. She wasn't too sure why she had kissed him, honestly, but there was that temptation in the air to do something the minute that Colt had told her to prove to him that she could do human things. Besides that, being a Galaver didn't mean she was incapable of feeling emotions! If anything, being a fire form meant that she probably felt these emotions at different extremes to humans. For a brief moment, she wondered whether Nova had been right in what she had said. Did she and Colt have this connection? So strong that it had somehow literally reached as far as different worlds? It was crazy, but stranger things had happened, Aurora thought. 

"Take me to Lark, I want to speak with him." Aurora told Leo the next day, after confirming that Colt was indeed okay, for the forty-seventh time. 

Aurora didn't want to be Lark's victim right now. The only victim she could stand to be was victim to her own thoughts of Colt, but she had to dismiss those for now. Colt had said it himself. Their relationship should only be a professional one. Except, of course, the very idea of that seemed laughable at this point in Aurora's overly developed idealised version of reality. 

Leo gave a nod, and took Aurora down the hall to meet the same guy who had been the cause of her abduction in the first place. Lark Richmonds. 

"Hello, Aurora! Glad to have you here!" Lark exclaimed to her as she entered his office. 

"You don't mean that, do you?" She asked then, once Leo had shut the door on the two of them. 

"Not a word." Lark replied. "I do think that I'm going to have to limit your time with my brother and his friend, co-worker, whatever you call Leo." Lark stated. 

"Well, usually, Leo." Aurora replied. 

Lark chose to ignore the witty comment, going on with his discussion. 

"Anyway, the point stands that no thanks to you Christoph wishes to reduce his funding for my projects, and as consequence of that it means that I will never become a member of the scientific community. Do you understand that? You've harmed me, Aurora, greatly. And the future of my studies here. So, I see no reason why I shouldn't harm you." Lark said with vengeful desire clear in his tone. 

"Whatever you do, just don't cause harm to your brother or Leo." Or Nova she silently added. 

"Yes, well, believe me, you're first on the list. Besides, where did that Nina girl go? She was so nice." Lark said. 

"She left." Aurora replied simply. "Quit. Told Colt the news." She lied. 

Lark's eyes narrowed at the girl in front of him, then, but he didn't say a word. 

"Very well." Lark replied. 

Of course, Aurora felt as though nothing was very well at present. Her mind was a mess, thinking on the Lark situation, the Nova one and the Colt one, all at the same time. She tucked some of her white locks behind her ear and sighed. 

Aurora would have to be patient if she wanted to work her current troubles out. Colt included. Nova wasn't going to just wander into the room and get rid of Lark. Not when the appearance of Christoph was still a threat to all four members of her group. Aside from that, Nova wasn't meant to be around, she was disguised as Nina and now, well, 'Nina', the alias that Nova had undertaken, was gone. 

Lark just wanted to antagonize her. Now, the room was quiet, perhaps his next phase of his cunning plans, that in Aurora's good opinion weren't very cunning at all, was to bore her into submission. At least, that's what Aurora was considering. However, Colt soon entered the room distracting her from it all.