Chapter Sixteen

"Christoph and Lark want to meet with me today...well, they want to meet with us." Colt told her, as he stepped inside her room. 

"Great." Aurora said with sarcasm. 

"I'm impressed. I didn't know aliens were capable of irony." He stated. 

Aurora gave a small smirk of amusement. 

"We have lots of surprises up our sleeves." She said. 

"I'll say." Colt replied. He couldn't help his mind wandering, the kiss was still replaying itself from time to time. Colt was an incredibly productive person for the most part, but thoughts of Aurora sure could sidetrack him.  

"I just...I don't want to meet up with him." Aurora admitted. She really, really, truly didn't like Lark, and having Colt by her side wasn't going to make the situation much better, because lo and behold, Christoph would be there too. 

"Girl, you're an alien. You have nothing to worry about." Colt told her. 

Aurora grabbed his hands in her own then, for reassurance purposes, and Colt's hairs raised a little at the sensation. 

"You forget you still have a level of impact on me." Colt told her. 

"Supernatural abilities." Aurora pointed out. 

"Exactly, E.T." Colt stated. 

Aurora collapsed down onto her bed for a moment, staring up at the ceiling as the sun shone through her window. She then managed to force herself upright, and became amazed at how familiar the sensation of looking around her room at the institute was becoming now. Sure, she absolutely did not want to be there by any stretch of the imagination, but she was comforted in the fact that Colt was with her, and that was something. 

"Am I going to be here much longer?" Aurora wondered aloud. 

Colt gave a shake of his head. 

"Not if I have anything to do with it." He told her honestly. 

Aurora knew that the both of them were partially reliant on each other to help them out of this mess, but they were also reliant on Nova and Leo, too, who had been working on their own research. 

"I've been doing my research, Aurora, but it doesn't take a genius to know that you are stronger than Lark could ever hope to be." Colt told her. 

Aurora smiled at that, taking it to be a compliment. 

"All the same, though, we should probably keep our wits about us in this meeting with Christoph today. We can't allow him to suspect us even a little in that we are trying to escape this lab." He stated. "In an ideal version of reality, the two of us get out of here, we're safe and..." He trailed off. 

"We will do this." Aurora told him, with a supportive manner. 

She just didn't know how much it would take for them to get out of there. However, she knew that there was the potential for somebody to be extremely hurt in all of this. Whenever something important needed to happen, there was always that risk, of course, there was. Nevertheless, she knew what she had to do. 

"It's my duty to keep you safe, Aurora." Colt said then, softly. 

"I can look out for myself." She stated. 

"I know, but it often helps if you have someone there to allow you to do so, and you can't look out for yourself all the time if the entire world is against you." He said. "It's not going to be easy, you know? As much as I'd like to believe we'll get out of here and you'll be able to get by passing as a human, it's not going to be that easy. You have powers, for one thing. You have so much more to yourself than anyone could ever imagine, including my idiot brother." Colt stated. "That's why I've told you you're a force to be reckoned with, E.T." He told her then, with a sincere smile, "And I truly do believe that." He added.