Chapter Twelve

A few days had passed since Aurora's nighttime conversation with Colt Richmonds, A.K.A. Nerd. For the most part, Aurora and co. were trying to keep up the pretense of not having a single notion of what was occurring at the Galaver Research Institute. As such, Leo and Colt continued their patrols outside, which really just meant they were planning the best escape route, while Aurora stayed inside, under the watchful eye of Nina, Lark and Christoph, all of whom she believed had different ideas for her. 

"I need you to come with me." Lark told her, as he went to her room. 

"Sure." Aurora stated, knowing it was better to just go along with it rather than try to fight him on this one. Even though she was following Lark down the hall, Aurora was filled with new confidence. She wasn't alone. She wasn't afraid of him. 

Of course, once she got to the room where Nina and Christoph were also sat, her tune changed a little. Nina was alright, from her previous experience with her. Christoph? Not so much. Then again, he had hit her straight across the face. It was slightly difficult to trust someone like him. Aurora just exhaled, be brave , she remembered her mother's words. 

"What brought you to this planet, girl?" Christoph asked her. 

"I've already told you guys that before." She stated, but when Lark shot her a warning look, she continued, "What I mean is that I didn't want to cause anybody trouble. I ended up on Earth because our space craft crashed." Aurora's eyes widened slightly then. She should definitely have said 'my'. Fortunately, only Lark appeared to be the one to notice her slip, or at least, Christoph and Nina were pretending that they hadn't heard anything. 

Christoph released a laugh that had no emotion behind it. 

Aurora turned to him and raised an eyebrow. 

"How are we meant to believe that you aren't a danger to us? A female worker here was discovered dead in the halls. Of course, all the security footage is gone...so, tragic." Christoph stated. "Do you know what happened to it?" 

"I think it was just a technical glitch." Nina stated then. "I checked the systems as Lark told me to and..." She shot Aurora a sympathetic gaze then. Wait... was she helping her out? Perhaps that wasn't out of the question. 

"You don't have to believe me. I've said what I said." Aurora said defiantly, as she folded her arms across her chest and leant back slightly in her chair. Aurora knew that she had to protect herself, here. They couldn't cause her harm. She would use her powers if they tried to do such a thing! Right, powers. The same things that Lark and Christoph both appeared to want to use against her. 

"You can go, Aurora." Lark stated then, taking her by surprise. 

Aurora didn't waste any time in getting up and walking back to the sanctuary that was her room. As she was walking down the hall, she noticed that they had replaced the glass on the cell she had previously been forced into. Never again. Aurora vowed. I won't be trapped in there for as long as I am here. 

"I brought you some spare clothes." Nina said then, handing Aurora some, as she wandered into her room. 

"Thank you." Aurora replied. 

Nina just smiled, adjusting the glasses on her face and tightening her blonde braid a little. 

Aurora was thankful to have new clean clothes, but hadn't expected them to be brought to her by Nina. In fact, she was still wondering why Nina had defended her earlier. 

"What is it?" Nina asked her. 

"Earlier. Why did you lie about the security footage?" Aurora whispered.