His Favourite Valet

Chapter 12

"Why is Niles not opening the door? The pup is in distress," said Kristof looking at Stefanos who walked in.

He did not answer and walked away. Vasileios followed him inside.

"Well, Alpha King here blamed Niles for the death of Lazaro," said Vasileios.

Zacchaeus entered shortly after that and he told Kristof of what happened. The Elder King had gone out to greet the pack. He had not heard the initial fight but Vasileios filled him on it.
Kristof rushed to Niles's room where Nikolas was trying to get him to open the room. The two alpha's followed him.

"You ask him, as the family head, he should come out when you ask him," said Kristof.

Zacchaeus sighed.

"Niles, pup, open the door," said Zacchaeus.

There was a brief pause and then Niles opened the door. Kristof pulled the pup into a hug and he broke into tears again.

"Pup, did you hear what the warriors and Hunters had to say? You should have. They are all so proud of what you did today. And I knew Lazaro for as long as I can remember. I know he would never blame you. He took the swing willingly because you saved his regiment," said Zacchaeus, placing an arm around Niles who calmed down with Kristof making him breathe.

"And you know my hunters are not easily impressed," said Vasileios.

Nikolas brought him water. He and Vasileios left, knowing too many of them will only make Niles uncomfortable.

Niles calmed down after sometime and he was laying on Kristof's lap.

"The first time I went out with the army, five warriors died protecting me," said Zacchaeus.

At that Niles looked up surprised. Surely, Elder King is infallible. Whenever he looks at big brother, he see someone who can never be weak or do no wrong like everyone across the ocean thinks.

"I was an arrogant Alpha pup at 18 years. Very eager to show everyone that I was capable of anything. That I can take the responsibility. They took me out on a hunt and an unexpected attack from a rival pack happened. I didn't know how to face everyone. I made numerous wrong calls in my arrogance and as a result we lost five wolves. I was heartbroken. Because unlike you, I did not save anyone rather put them all in danger. I was so sure that I am not good for the responsibility after that. Oviro found me sulking in the woods. He sat down next to me and told me that a ruler is he who can accept when he is wrong, take responsibility, learn lessons and move forward. We cannot afford to let past mistakes pull us back when we have so much to do in the present," said Zacchaeus.

"And the warriors and hunters were okay with that?" asked Niles.

"The chief hunter back then was a very strict man named Uvirais. He was always unimpressed by anything I do. He called me pup. That day though, he let me enrol as a hunter, after two years of not listening to my constant whining. He said I am finally a hunter. A hunter is he who does not flee, who stays put even when we are in danger, who keeps going forward with the pack. He said I could have used my privilege and left but I didn't and that is the kind of hunter he wants in his group," said Zacchaeus.

Niles felt better after hearing that. He curled against Kristof, not realising that he turned into wolf form. Once Niles's breath evened out, they laid him down and pressed a kiss to his forehead, calming him and left, leaving a guard at the door to alert them if Niles is in distress.

---------------------

Stefanos bathed. He thought of Niles's face, tear strewn and upset when he shouted at him. He sighed. He thought of his stupidity and his own brother is not talking to him at the moment because he was in his high horse. He went down and saw that there was Hars standing guard to Niles's room.
He gave a small nod and went off in search of Vasileios. His brother seems to have freshened up and he sat down in the bed next to him.