Painful Gifts

Chapter 18

The more Stefanos realised the depth and nature of his feelings for Niles, the more he hesitated. He almost laughs at his foolishness in once wondering about Niles's question and thinking if he will love Niles enough as he deserves. It is almost like someone took a lid off. He is not an idiot or extremely oblivious. He has just never thought of Niles romantically before they mated because, in his mind, Niles was always a pup. However, he was also inordinately possessive of Niles. He never did let Niles leave his side and even took him everywhere he need not have if it was not dangerous. He became this inseparable part.

If he had thought with a logical approach, he would have come to the realisation himself. Because he missed his wolf who used just mess up his perfect clothes every day. He missed the cheeky conversations. He craved for them. He craved for everything Niles and it just never occurred to him that perhaps he does love Niles more than he thought it possible to love a person. Yes, he did love Niles. Three days after speaking to the rest of his family, the truth if it was scaring Stefanos.

What if Niles never forgives him? What if his mate never takes him back? What if he hurts Niles again? Half the time Stefanos thinks he is just making up reasons because he is a coward. On Saturday, he was determined to speak with Niles. He saw Niles in their living room. He was going through some book.

"Niles"

"Alpha"

"I wanted to talk to you about something," said Stefanos.

Niles looked spooked at that. Somehow his whole demeanour changed but before Stefanos could question it his pack bond was in a violent motion.

He got up.

"Someone is entering pack ground. Can you smell anything?" asked Stefanos.

"Not rogues, but not our pack either," said Niles as they both ran down and met with others coming down the stairs. They had the warriors lined up and they left to the borders. Before he left, Stefanos turned and looked at Niles.

"We will talk after I get back," he said.

Niles nodded. Stefanos turned to leave.

"Alpha, Stay safe," said Niles.

Stefanos looked at him.

"I will," he said and then left.

Niles watched as his mate left with the hunters and warriors along with their brothers.

Niles had been going through an emotional upheaval for the past one week. He is always feeling weak and there is this dejection he feels that he knows is from his wolf. It is almost like his body can't carry him anymore. He did not tell anyone to not worry them. He also had these irrational fears inside him. Honestly, he does want to leave to find his brother. But sometimes he is scared that he will now forever be kicked out of the family, that they wouldn't care if he left, that his Alpha would be happy if he just died somehow. It was like a part of his soul was just covered in this thick layer of white clouds.

When his Alpha said he wanted to speak with him, his first thought was that the Alpha is going to ask him to leave. He cannot explain the kind of overwhelming pain he is feeling both mentally and physically. They just stay there, the three of them waiting for news. And the good news does arrive. They are now in talks with the offending pack and will not make it back soon.

"Will you both accompany me somewhere?" asked Niles out of the blue.

"Where pup?" asked Kristof who had him lay on his lap after noticing him looking a bit peaky.

"I want to go to the falls and see the witch," said Niles.

Both Nikolas and Kristof were surprised.