Battered and Bruised

The warm towel pressed against my wounds made my muscles relax almost instantly and a wave of physical relief wash over me. They still ached at times but it was clear Sam was trying his hardest to be gentle.

My shirt was discarded after Sam insisted on helping, exposing toned but also bruised abs and tanned skin. I wasn't as fit as the large men I saw roaming the streets on my first day here, but I did had a strong enough build.

Sam soaked the towel in the warm water once more and squeezed it so all the blood was off before re-wetting it and gently dabbing it against my cuts. I watched the way he bit his lip in concentration and moved me around when he tried to reach different wounds.

He was gentle as I expected, I knew he had a pure heart. His aura said it all but his anger and pain was beginning to mask all the timidness and his kind heart.

Sam noticed me staring and glanced at me. "What? Did I hurt you? I'm sorry-" He began with furrowed brows but I cut him off. "No, you're fine." I smiled, making him relax visibly. "You just- nothing." I chuckled, shaking my head.

He looked at me with a little confusion but thankfully didn't question any further. My back soon began to ache and I decided to let them out again. "I need to spread my wings.." I spoke softly, silently asking him to which he nodded and moved back to give me space.

When he did that, I shut my eyes and allowed my wings to finally spread. I sighed lightly and brought my right wing in front of me, inspecting the burned spots. I frowned at the sight of it and ruffled my hair in distress.

"How did this happen?" Sam asked carefully, laying his hands on his lap quietly. "Long story." I chuckled, waving it off. Explaining how I my wings caught fire was surely a story I wouldn't want to explain.

Sam suddenly stood up and moved around until he came back with white cloth and bandages. He walked a little closer to me but stopped when he remembered. "May I?" He asked and I nodded, bringing my wing out.

He carefully began wrapping the burnt spots and tied the ends together. He then reached for the warm cloth and gently began wiping the dirt off the rest of my feathers. When he was done both wings though, they looked exceptionally better and well-treated. It was up to my nature to heal itself now.

As for the wounds on the rest of my body, Sam made sure to plaster the small cuts and wrap the serious wounds after cleaning them professionally. When we were finally done, my body felt physically better and much cleaner than it was before.

"Thank you, Sam. I am very grateful for your kindness." I smiled, standing up and stretching my aching arms. He smiled back in reply and packed things up before re-joining me. He sat on the couch a little farther from me and watched me caress my feathers tenderly.

"Do you miss home?" He suddenly asked, making me stop and look up at him. I shook my head. "No, not really." I replied with a smile, glancing a way momentarily. "I don't really have anything to go back to, if I was still given the chance to do so."

"How come? You can't go back to heaven? What about family? Friends?" He asked again, looking at me with saddened eyes. I shook my head again. "I didn't really have anyone in heaven, I haven't met my family either actually."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" "You're alright." I smiled.

"I.. I have one more question though." He murmured and crossed his legs beneath him. I nodded in encouragement and met his curious gaze.

"My chest.. hurts at times, a-and I was wondering if you had a-anything to do with it?" He asked slowly, making me freeze with wide eyes. "I.. I don't know if you're ready.." I trailed off but that wasn't enough for him and hekept prying.

"What? What am I not ready for? Surely it can't be something worse than discovering that angels are real?" He tilted his head and I sighed.

"It's the bond, we're soulmates, Sam."

"And the pain in our chest is because we hadn't bonded. I can feel it too."