Prologue

Detective Y/L/N, please proceed to the generals office.” an electronic voice coming out of the speaker hidden from the upper corners of the room reverberated, catching all of our attention.

A loud snort came from infront of me, making me look up and shoot a glare at the person while I stood up from my seat and rounded the cubicle.

Walking down the path heading outside the department. “What's so funny fuck face?” I hissed at my co-worker, not waiting for a reply I slammed the doors shut behind me and my eyes immidiately study the scene in front.

It was a busy day at the agency, the buzz of voices filled the main hall while each individual carried stack of papers that were tucked under their arm, coming in and out of the glass doors of their own departments then rushing across the hall in swift motion to avoid bumping on someone and towards another department for case record. It's always been the same task of the workers for the past few years since the agency was built. When I first work here I had told myself that I wouldn't let my work life feel like a broken record, that only repeat the same boring task everyday. But turns out I really did turn out to be like them, it was inevitable.

In the center of the room a five feet wide gray marbled stairway with a dark burgundy carpet flowed down from the large oak double doors to the end of the staircase where I stood, after I crossed the busy hall and managed avoid easy so annoy workers. My hand felt the smooth surface of the black matted iron handrail as I trail up the stair in irritation.

I could've sworn I didn't drop off records to another department, the drug department to be specific, and I'm certain that our department made sure of that. Because apparently I'm not welcome since the head of their department and I had a stupid argument.

My knuckles tapped the thick, hard surface of the door signaling the person inside the room that I have arrived. I waited until I hear a faint click before I turn the knob and quietly entered the room. The sound of my footsteps muffled by the rug under my feet as I walked deeper into the room.

A familiar old, gray haired man stood up to his feet, his wrinkles got more noticeable when his eyes squint as he smiled widely at my arrival infront of his desk.

“Detective Y/L/N, great to see you again.” He greeted as I firmly shake his hand after reaching out his arm.

He opened his mouth again but before he could speak I interrupted him. “Sir I assure you, I didn't speak to her again aft-”

“Calm down, Y/L/N.” He cuts you off with a throaty chuckle, seeing your expression. “You're not in trouble if that's what you were worried about.”

I let out a sigh of relief. “Then what's this all about?” I asked, trying to sound nice.

The general clasped his calloused palms together. “Tell me Y/L/N, what do you feel about work right now?” He calmly asked, staring directly at me.

“It feels like shit sitting 8 to 9 hours every day sir.” I bluntly stated, without thinking through what was coming out of my mouth. Internally groaning at myself at my stupidity for not remembering who I was talking to, I look down guiltily. “Forgive me, sir.”

“No no, it's alright.” He assured with a reassuring smile. “I wanted your serious answer, and that's what you gave me.” He then waved his hand and motioned for me to continue.

I nodded and parted my lips. “It was not that easy to get in to the agency sir, considering that it's the most unknown and top secret organization. And when I did I've always thought that I would be working on something that I knew  would change my life but... I never expect I would work behind a computer recording files and deciphering codes.”