Chapter 6

Kendall silently stared at the dozing figure of Detective Rye, who rest against the wall infront of her. Her black shirt crumpled and ripped, white dust scattered all around her trousers like patterns. Her eyes then land on a blood stained gauze plastered on Rye's arm, her lips turning down to a frown.

She hugged the pillow tightly, tucking the soft edge under her chin. Was that her doing? Calling Rye in the middle of the operation and distracted her from her job that she got hit. In all honesty, she doesn't even have an inkling why she needed to know where the Detective is the moment she opened her eyes and see that the couch was empty and she was long gone.

Is it the absence of a company in an unknown, secluded place she's confined, with no communication from the outside world?

Kendall swing out of bed, her bare feet touching the linoleum floor. She head to the bathroom, grabbing a towel on the rack then wash it on the sink and pull out a new bandage, alcohol and cotton ball from the medicine cabinet.

She sat on her knees next to Rye, setting the things down beside her, leaving the soaked towel in her hand and looks up to her companion's sleeping face. Kendall's eyes glided across the bridge of her nose, there were dark smears on her skin with specks of wood dust trailing down to her chapped lips.

Or was it because despite of her sharp tongue and snappy attitude she can be amusing to be with. Of course Kendall wouldn't admit it to anyone, everytime she sees how the Detective's face contort in anger, she finds it a bit adorable, like she just wanted to pinch those away by her cheeks or irritate her even more. It was odd of her to feel like that. Now that there's a friendship forming between her and Rye the last thing she'd want is to get to her badside.

She lightly dabbed the soaked towel on Rye's face, taking out the dirt on her smooth skin; from around her face tracing it down to her neck, that needed more attention because of her sweat. Satisfied with her work seeing no blemishes on her skin, Kendall tossed the towel and took a pinch of the cotton before pouring in some alcohol.

She gently peeled off the gauze, face scrunching like a kid avoiding to be caught, then softly grasp the arm with her free hand while hovering the cotton ball on the bloody stiches. At first she slide it around the area of the wound then slowly inching it closer until it was just on the edge of the opening. She pat the cotton directly on the wound, quickly looking at Rye's face to see her reaction. Kendall was surprised to see none.

Then again, the same, none.

The edge of Kendall's lips stretched in a grin. "You're really that tired huh?" She amusingly whispers, continuing to clean the wound. Once she's finished she unrolled the ends of the bandage then wrapped it around the Detective's wounded arm and tie it firmly.

Kendall leaned back, her gaze averting to Rye's face, head tilting to the side. "Is Rye even your real name?" She murmured, unconsciously raising a hand towards Rye's face.

When she realized what she's doing her hand momentarily paused, fingers inches away to touch Rye's face. Kendall holds her breath then her fingers finally feels Rye's skin. She sighs, relieved that the Detective didn't wake up. She glides her fingers to the edge of her eyebrow and heave a strand of hair that managed to escape the binds of Rye's ponytail and tucked it behind her ear.

She pulled her hand back and giggled quietly, watching Rye's head slide down to the side and swing up again as she fixed it back in her sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~👮🏻‍♀️~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes shot open when I felt a slight sting on the side of my face. I grunt, placing a hand on my cheek and look through my half lidded eyes. My sight refocusing, I was greeted by Virgo's smirking face, kneeling beside me while behind her stood gazing down was Detective Dio, her tired face evident even in the dim room.