Chapter 5

Bullets pelted around me like rain in a thunderstorm, zipping to the floor burning permanent holes. I sprinted across the hall for what it seems to be hours of running, but totally it was just a few minutes. I can already feel my legs heavy at every phase I take, my muscles already straining from jumping and weaving through countless of boxes scattered along the way.

My eyes twitch at the deafening radio scratching in my ear. “Back up is on the way.” Detective Virgo spoke through the earpiece. “For now can you hold them off?

Leaping on a crate to hide, I pressed my back against the wood and peer through the edge only to snap my head back when a bullet shoot through the lumber, temporarily blinding one of my eye from its dust.

“Oh sure, do tell them to take their sweet time.” I told her, drawing the magazine out of my pistol to check its bullets. “I could totally ask these morons for a time off.”

I glanced up, extending my arm out that was holding a gun and fire them a couple of shots. Taking one down with a bullet through their chest. I shrink back behind the crate again.

I see the sarcasm hasn't gone away after our graduation.” Her voice laced with amusement. “Kendall's requesting for you.”

I discarded the empty magazine and loaded a new one, groaning at the news. “What does she want?”

Putting her in the line now.” Hearing a faint click, the sound changed from multiples pressing of keyboards to a ruffling noises. “Where are you?” Kendall's tired, groggy voice ring in my ears.

“Seems like you've had a good sleep.” I shuffle to my feet, my arm stretched back and blindlessly fire while continuing to run. “Good for you.”

You didn't answer my question.”

“Not a good time for question and answers Kendall.”

I was not on the mood to start an argument with the celebrity, who would be when bullets rain on you.

The general mentioned that the team would discuss the next task after the celebrities settled in there rooms for their temporary stay in the headquarters until we catch all syndicate leaders, but he didn't specify when for us to get ready.

We grouped before dawn, the sun was barely breaking out when he called us down the meeting area. Now I got a fiery legs and a matching headache.

A great way to start the day.

A bullet managed to hit me on the arm, shooting through my skin leaving a line of gash. Focused on the pain I took a misstep, tumbling to the ground grunting when my body bounced on the floor. Rolling over to hide behind another box, I tried to sit up, putting pressure on my injured arm.

“Fuck!” I hissed from the painful sting, holding the wound oozing with blood.

Rye! Are you right?! ” Kendall's frantic voice boomed in my ears. I flinched, not because of the burning sensation on my arm but at her high pitched scream. “Are you dead?

What kind of a question is that? “Don't get your hopes up, doll.”

That's not what I meant.”

I snort. “Yeah right.”

She made an irritated throaty sound before I hear a click.

That's...interesting.” Virgo came back in the line. “The back up—

The large wall infront of me exploded, rubbles flying around like comets falling from the sky. I momentarily hold in my breath, fanning away heap of dust floating around me from the explosion. People in uniforms jumped through the large opening holding heavy firearms, one in particular stood out, wearing the agency uniform with matching customised pistol that we only have.