Chapter 7

Metal doors slammed against the solid wall, the ear piercing sound resonating throughout building. It swings back to close then swiftly open again when Tora and I entered the empty dimly lit hallway with our shoulders slightly hunched, footsteps light and quiet. Trailing behind us are Aigle and Dio, each holding combat shotguns, then Esey watching our backs.

Grappling the automatic rifle steadily in my arms, my fingers firm around the pistol grip, index finger hovering the trigger and rifle butt against the front shoulder for recoil support. My cheeks rest on the stock weld, eyes aligned on the scope ready for hostiles on sight.

"It's empty out here." Tora observed, checking both sides of an intersection we passed by and see no presence in sight.

"Where the hell are they," Aigle grumbled, taking over your spot next to Tora. "The intel said they'd be here."

"That's odd. The intel reported they'll be there processing transactions." Epta instructs, her voice coming out of the earpiece on each of our ears. "Check the rooms."

There was a quick static noise then Virgo's voice replaced Epta. "Be careful, they could be carrying heavy firearms."

We gathered at a door on sight, another two heavy metal doors, and lined up against the wall, Tora closer to the entrance. She cranes her neck and looked over us then nods to the person at the end of the line. Esey nods back and shift the rifle to her side using its strap and unhooked a detcord on her waist. She silently walks over and attach the wire on each sides of the door from the top then tracing the strips to the bottom.

Instead of going back to her position she took the opposite side and reposition her rifle back in her arms. She raised a thumbs up to Tora and we all ducked our heads preparing for a breach. The detcord exploded, separating the door off of its hinges with a loud bang and heap of white dust blowing out the door.

Aigle and Tora marched through the thick mist with their rifles pointed and we trailed quickly behind. Passing through the blinding smoke unraveled an empty office; tables lined across the room with the desk compartment slid out and emptied as if it was ransacked, office chairs messily scattered, some of it toppled over and its backrest removed somewhere around.

"Check the rooms!" Aigle commands pointing to the connected rooms at each corner.

Doing as told I made my way to one of an agaped wooden door and draw it open with my foot. Again, messy and empty; synthetic window shades ripped, papers littered the faded carpets and desk pushed sideways.

"Clear!"

"Clear!"

"Clear!"

"Clear!" I yelled back, returning to the main room and regroup with the others that circled around Aigle, their rifles now strapped behind them.

Aigle furiously slammed the desk compartment shut. "where are those bastards!"

"Virgo, Epta, are we in a correct location?" Tora inquired, pressing her earpiece with her index finger.

"Yes, they should be there!"  Virgo responds urgently.

"Then why aren't they here?!" Aigle snapped.

"I'm checking on it." Epta interjects, I can hear the blink of her laptop. "According to the reports their transactions would last for two days. Its impossible they've done it all today."

"So they knew we were coming." Dio speculates as she studied the room.

Esey crossed her arms. "That's impossible, no one knows our operation."

"Unless..." Aigle's chin suddenly raised, she scanned us one by one, eyes glinting maliciously. "Somebody told them we'd be here."

"So you're implying that someone in the agency told them?" Tora stared at the co-head Detective. When she didn't get a reply she looked at her in disbelief.

"That's preposterous! no one knew but us!"  Dio exclaims, pointing to all of us.

"That's what I'm trying to say! One of us is a traitor!" Aigle finally declares.

"You're crazy!" I argued, advancing closer to Aigle's face . "We've been working our asses off for this case and you'll say that one of us is a rat!"

"Then how did they know we'd be here?! huh?! Got any explanation for that?!" Aigle retaliates, now our heads in close proximity as we glared at each others eyes.

Before I could even comprehend what was happening I found myself staring at a barrel of a gun. My eyes blinked rapidly in realisation and looked around the room. Everyone had their own guns out and pointed at each other, their trembling fingers hovering the trigger. The air was thick and the silence were suffocating. I've been working with them for weeks, I'm certain that one wrong move and one of us will fall to the floor.

I shakily raise my hands, motioning for them to calm down. "Take it easy girls! we— we can properly talk about this."

"Guns down!" Virgo's authoritative voice came through the earpiece.

Aigle gripped her rifle tightly, jaws clenching. "Then give me a reason why I won't bury a bullet in one of  you."

Tora quickly shift her gaze at the end of Aigle's rifle and towards me. "You don't know if you got the real traitor."

Everybody glanced at each other, guns cautiously lowering down after Aigle. The head detective swing her rifle behind her with skeptical eyes. "Until we find who betrayed us, none of us will go back to the agency. Just to be safe."

"I don't know why its easy for you to say that when you don't even have any proof if one of us is a traitor." I muttered.

"Aigle's not wrong, but she's not totally right either. " Epta declares. Aigle opened her mouth to speak but she was interrupted by Epta again. "We are the only ones who knows this operation, though someone could hack through our communication to know our plans."

"We're going to investigate our system and try to see if someone had manage to squeeze through our security." Virgo informs. "Until then let's not assume tha—"

An ear splitting squeak deafened the side of my ears. I winced at the irritating sound, my palm pressed on my ears as if it would lessen the pain. I hear loud explosion at the background of voices screaming.

"—we've been breached!" Another bang had mixed with Virgo's chopped voice. "—return quick—"

Epta's voice chimes in. "—the girls! —they want—"

Despite Epta's lack of completing her statement our heads shot up at the mention of the girls.

"Virgo?! Epta?!" Tora called but the line suddenly went dead.

Aigle pulled her earpiece off and it hanged loosely on her neck. "We need to head back. They're going to get the girls!"

"You heard her now let's go!"

We bolted out the doors and exited the building then sprint around to the alley way where our van is parked. My heart churned at the thought of Kendall being taken away. I was scared as fuck, worried, unsettled, anyone can easily notice it at the nonstop shake of my leg while I sat at the back seat watching Tora maneuver the van off the curb and speed through the traffic. It wasn't suppose to feel like this, the fact that Kendall suddenly has this effect over me..... goddamn I can't even explain a single fuck I'm experiencing.

Gazing out the window watching the world roll by, my fingers anxiously picked and played the fabric of my trousers.

"Kendall..."

Unedited.

What do you lovelies think about this
chapter?

Follow me:

twttr: imcoolasblue
insta: riee. aigle27