4| It's going to be okay

Tony's pov.

"Jarvis, Pour me some coffee," I say tiredly as a yawn escapes my lips. I shift a hologram to my right and start updating the security protocols for the building.

"Sir, you've been awake for 75 hours and 48 minutes. I would suggest you follow the prepared sleep schedule for you to entirely ignore." My ever so dutiful AI informs making me smirk at his statement.

"You know me too well, Jarvis." I watch my fuel being poured and then turn to Dum-E. "Get me my fuel, Dum-E." The robot beeps and does as told. Soon enough, I have a cup of hot coffee in my hand and I take a sip, trying to avoid the crash.

"Sir, Ms Potts is asking for you." I groan in irritation.

"Tell her I'm busy, J." I know exactly what this is about, it's all about that stupid internship program. I can't even imagine some kid running around my lab. It won't work out and I know it.

"Ms Potts says that you will lose your lab privileges if you do not go to her at this very instant." I sigh, knowing, I can't get out of this.

"Alright, Jarvis. The show's over. Lights out" I say with a snap of my fingers and darkness covers the messy lab as I close the door behind me and make my way towards the living room.

I see Pepper sat on one of the couches with a StarkTab between her palms and some papers sitting beside her. She looks up at me and frowns. "How long have you been awake, Tony?" I shrug and her gaze hardens.

"What was he doing, Jarvis?" She asks as I sit on the couch directly in front of her.

"Boss was updating the tower's safety protocols, ma'am." She stands up and walks towards me with a concerned look. She cups my chin and stares into my eyes as I look at her helplessly.

"It's getting worse, isn't it?" I knew what she was talking about, the anxiety I got after the events of the battle of New York. It's getting worse, worse than ever, the constant fear continuing to plague my mind every second of my day. I avert my gaze and she sighs.

"The results are here. I believe we have found a mini-you." She says with a laugh making curiosity spark in me as she passes me, what seems like an answer sheet. I quickly move towards the last page, towards the only two questions that were designed by me. My eyes widen as I read the calculations that were wildly accurate.

"Where does he go? MIT?" I couldn't expect anything less than that after seeing the answers. Pepper simply laughs, making me look at her in confusion as to what she had found funny.

"He's a highschooler, Tony." I look at her as if she has grown two heads. It's not possible, this isn't a high school level test. Pepper just laughed and got back to her work. "Here's some info about him." She says pointing towards a bunch of paper.

"Scan it up, Jarvis," I say as I turn on my heels and start making my way towards the lab.

"Already done, sir." I stop when Pepper clears her throat making me turn towards her. "And where do you think you are going?" She arches an eyebrow at me challengingly.

"To the church." She shakes her head disapprovingly at me. "I better see you in bed in about-" She pauses to check her watch. "An hour."

"Bu-"

"Zip it, Stark. I don't want to see you all grumpy when the new guy arrives. He's still a kid, Tony. So, You better be on your best behaviour tomorrow." She says sternly.

"Yes, ma'am," I reply monotonously and continues to trudge towards the lab.

Looks like I've got some research to do.

******************

"Wake up, Fellas! We have some business on our hands." I clap and the lab lights up like Christmas. Well, every time here is Christmas anyway, just with more, me.

"Jarvis, What's the name?" I ask impatiently about the miracle kid.

"It is stated as Peter Parker, boss." I freeze in my tracks as my mind blanks upon hearing the name. "What did you say?" I say, still in shock as memories flood my brain.

No, it must be a coincidence...It isn't possible...

"The name is stated as Peter Parker, sir." I feel my heartbeat elevate. "Pull up the picture, Jarvis." A holographic image appears in front of me. A boy with brown hair and hazel eyes with a grin stares back at me.

"Give me everything on him, Jarvis. Quick!"

"Peter Benjamin Parker. Age sixteen. The current residential address is 20 Ingram Street, Queens, New York. Studies at Midtown School of Technology. Current guardian, May Reilly Parker Jameson. Parents, Richard and Mary Parker. Status: Dead." Jarvis lists out almost instantly.

"Stop!" I feel my breathing quicken.

Mary Parker... Oh My Gosh...

I stumble into a nearby table as I start feeling nauseous and dizzy. Voices echo around my head and I feel myself slide down to the floor. I clutch my head and hear Jarvis speaking something in the background.

"Mr Stark, I hereby declare you unfit to win Mr Parker's custody based on all the proofs and statements."

"You can't have him, Tony. It's too risky."

"Tony, I am pregnant."

"The matter will stay under wraps for Mr Parker's safety."

"I'm sorry, Tony."

"Tony? Tony!! Come on, Tony. You gotta breathe." I hear a voice dulled by all the noise in my head and a pair of hands shake my shoulders gently. My vision blurs a little and the voices dull down as I see a pair of blue eyes, brimming with concern, stare at me.

"What in the name of Jesus happened? I was working and Jarvis tells me that you are having a freaking panic attack!" I rub my face helplessly, not knowing, what I'm supposed to tell her. "Is it about the intern? I can shift him to the lower labs if you don't want to work with him. It's completely fine, Tony."

"No! No. I'm fine." I say hurriedly, not wanting to lose the chance of seeing the one person I never could.

"Tony, You have to tell me what's going on...This, this wasn't normal." She says in frustration and I try to think of something to tell her but can't even find my very own voice.

"Jarvis? What was he doing?" She asks as she notices me being unable to answer. "Boss was doing a small research on Mr Parker, ma'am." She frowns, unable to connect the dots and then suddenly her eyes widen.

"What was the name again, Jarvis?" She asks in utter disbelief.

"Peter Parker, ma'am."

She snaps her head towards me and her eyes stare at me for confirmation. "Mary Parker." I whisper and suddenly all the pieces in her brain fall together as a small gasp leaves her lips.

"Impossible." I give her a sad smile and she wastes no time in hugging me. "It's going to be okay." She whispers. And I find myself nodding, hoping, wishing, Everything to turn out okay.