27| Bruises

Peter's pov.

"Peter!" I turn to Ned rushing towards me, a worried look over his face. He breathes heavily after reaching in front of me and I stare at him, confused. The tranquillity, as a result of having a peaceful sleep yesterday, soon dissipated on seeing his panicked features. "Peter, Flash he-he, something's wrong today, Peter. Just-just stay the hell away from him today." He stutters hurriedly and I feel my heart skip a beat.

"I don't understand, Ned. What's going on?" My eyes fixed upon the small amount of blood smeared across his lips making worry flow into my system. "Peter, saying he is in a rough mood is an understatement, just-"

"What are you losers up to?" We are startled at the new voice and Ned jumps beside me. I turn to come face to face with Mj, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion as her eyes danced between me and Ned. I give Ned a sharp look, knowing exactly what he was thinking. There was no need for involving Mj in the ordeal, this wasn't her problem to fix, it was mine. Mine to deal with.

"N-nothing, just homework and stuff, you know." I cringe at the lame excuse and Mj rolls her eyes, annoyance dripping from her expression. "I totally believe that, loser." Ned and Mj continue their sass competition beside me while my eyes fix upon the figure standing in the corner of the hall, staring directly at me.

I am taken aback by the dishevelled state of Flash Thompson. The normally squinting eyes are replaced by blood-shed ones and the heavily gelled hair by messy ones. He looks like he came back from hell and now, it was my turn to visit.

What have I gotten myself into...

***************************************************

I feel my heartbeat drumming into my ears, matching the ticking of the clock, a time bomb doomed to explode. My eyes remain glued to the clock in front of the class as Ms Raine drones on and on about the electromagnetic waves, her voice drowned by the deafening rush of my thoughts.

30 seconds...

My eyes rushed around the room, watching people on the last benches close their books without being noticed by Ms Raine. I feel the desperate urge to run out of the room, away from this place, away from this mess.

25 seconds...

Ms Raine moves on to speak about the conclusion of today's lesson and reminds everyone of the pending assignment.

15 seconds...

Ms Raine turns around to gather her books and registers while the class launches into their usual chatters making my ears ring eerily. The continuous buzz around me is drowned by the fear coursing into my veins and the bubbling panic in my stomach.

5 seconds...

The only thing audible to me is the erratic beating of my own heart and I find myself wishing for Mr Happy to show up early today, knowing I am dead meat if he doesn't.

Time up!

I get up in a heartbeat, grabbing my backpack hurriedly, and rush out of the room before anyone else. I barely keep myself breathing as I basically sprint towards the parking area but, feel my heart drop at the absence of the familiar black car that always stands, waiting for me.

No...

A cold shiver creeps down my spine, noticing the other students rush past me like a big blur I can't find myself to focus upon. I stand there alone, knowing Ned went home just like we decided. The tiny, selfish part of me wishing he didn't but, the larger part remains relieved, knowing that he was safe.