37| Not my kid

Tony's pov.

I push the familiar metal door open, the number 220 carved over it, before taking in a deep breath. My eyes fall upon the white hospital bed before registering the three figures waiting for me. I frown on seeing May's pale body still lying upon the bed, unmoving and silent which makes me avert my eyes. "Tony," My head snaps towards Natasha, her eyes heavy and serious ensuring it was nothing good she wanted to talk about. "You need to see this."

She moves towards May and I follow her lead, my eyes moving from the redhead to the dead woman in front of me and it takes me all my will power to not simply run out of the room. Natasha grabs May's hand before turning her wrist in my direction. I stare at it, my eyes squinting at the tiny bluish dot over it bordered by purplish hue. I look back to her, not quite comprehending what she was trying to say.

"Have you heard of Nexain?" My head snaps to Clint as he questions me, my mind trying to find anything about the foreign word. "It's a poison, a deadly one. Pretty common in whole spy and assassination field." No, that's not possible. It can't be possible for what he is implying be true, not in the slightest. My eyes find that of Pepper's as she stares at me with concern evident on her face.

"Couldn't the doctors have traced it?" Pepper breaks the heavy silence, her voice coming out a bit shaky. "Let me guess, now you're going to say that this certain poison breakdown into your body making it nearly untraceable?" I stare at Natasha and Clint simultaneously, questioning my theory, knowing it was quite possible for it to come out true but my mind refuses to believe the proposal.

"That's exactly what it does, Tony. Nexain induces a cardiac arrest making it quite difficult to even give people a chance to second guess." This has turned into a whole new scenario, no longer a simple death, it's murder if what they're saying is true. "This," Natasha says pointing towards the pale wrist which had the strange mark, "This is the only trace Nexain leaves. It's not we thought it is, Tony."

A ringing sound echoes in my ears as my eyes remain glued to the mark and I feel my breath quicken but force myself to calm down. No, this isn't the right time to panic, not now. "I-I don't understand why someone would want May dead." We all turn to Pepper to find her eyes on May's body as she seemed visibly shaken.

My thoughts turn to Peter, the images of the shaking boy on the verge of a mental breakdown filling up my mind. The mere idea of him coming to find about the truth makes shivers run down my spine. It will simply make the entire situation much, much worse than it already is. He won't think twice before throwing himself into danger, trying to find the inflictor without a second thought about his own well being. That's not something I can afford. He is not something I can afford to lose. Not my son.

"Do not speak a word about this in front of Peter, not a single word." My voice comes out hard and unwavering. A doubtful look crosses their features before they nod making relief flood into my veins. I freeze as the shrill ringing of my phone echoes around the soundless room making the three pairs of eyes snap to me. I pull the phone out, my eyes narrowing at the unknown private number while the remaining three people step closer to me, trying to get a look of what had caused an undoubtedly hesitant look upon my face.

I tap upon the com in my ear that keeps me connected to Jarvis. "Jarvis, make sure to trace this call," I order the A.I. before putting the call on speaker mode making it audible to everyone in the room.

"Tony Stark," A rough voice comes through the speaker making me frown, the lack of information about the person making me cautious. "Who is it?" I keep my voice steady as the others remain completely silent, their entire attention upon the conversation. A loud laugh comes out as a response before the man speaks. "Oh, where's the fun in disclosing that, Stark."