9| Trouble in paradise

A/N

Okay guys, we're gonna pretend that Peter has had the internship for a week now. Okay?

You may continue now...Enjoy! ; ) *Gosh this smiley looks awful, but you know what, I'm gonna keep it. Okay bye!

*****************************************

"What the fuck?" I launch up, horrified on hearing May's loud voice and rub my eyes before looking for time. I narrow my eyes in confusion to see it is only 7:00 am.

That's one way to wake without an alarm...

I walk out the door towards the living room only to see Aunt May pacing around with one hand holding her phone to her ear as she rubs her forehead with another and I feel worry sink in me. "You can't just call me at 7 in the morning and drop a freaking bomb like that." She yells with one hand in the air.

"Yeah, I understand." She sighs and I walk towards her just in time for her to cut the call. She sits on the couch and holds her forehead in her palms and I feel my heart sink in further.

"Aunt May?" She jumps at my voice, startled, and plasters a huge smile on her face, replacing the previous worried expression.

Fake...

"Oh, Peter! You're awake. What would you like for breakfast?" I frown at her attempt of switching the topic as she turns to move towards the kitchen and I follow her.

"What's going on, Aunt May?" She gives out a tired sigh as she turns towards me. "Nothing for you to worry about, Pete." She says softly and I give her a defying look.

"But, maybe I can help!" I say, trying to convince her as she grabs the cereal box along with the milk carton and starts walking back towards the living room. I sit on the chair in front of the cereal bowl she kept.

"They are shutting down my department." My eyes widen and I turn to her in complete shock as she stands quietly. "What?" I barely whisper. She walks to me with a sad smile and places a hand on my shoulder. "It's okay, we'll figure this out." She says, trying to be her optimistic self, and I shake my head, fearfully.

"But-but we'll fall behind on the rent!" We were barely staying afloat anyway. She puts her hand on my cheek and I feel the warmth radiate from her palm. "No, we won't. I'll find a new job in no time and we have your internship helping us now, right?" I barely nod my head, feeling my eyes go glassy as old memories echo in my brain.

"We can't just leave this house, Aunt May!"

"I know it's tough, Pete."

"No, you don't understand! Ben loved this place! He would never want this! Please..."

"Shh, calm down, Pete."

"I, he. May, this is all we have left of him, We can't leave!"

"I'll do something, Pete. I promise, I promise..."

I feel myself being jerked lightly and I look up only to stare into May's concerned honey eyes. "We are not going to leave the house, Pete. I promise." And I nod, trying to convince myself as she pulls me into a hug.

"Now come on, smarty. You gotta reach school." She ruffles my hair making them even messier, if it was possible, that is. I groan but oblige her request nonetheless.

************************************

"Oh come on, Ned! I'm so sorry, okay! I reached home so late and I didn't know if you were even awake." I whine as my friend, who constituted about fifty percentage of my friendship circle, continuously ignored me.