25| Tired eyes, longing heart.

A/N

Here's an art I never knew I needed until now... This is too adorable...

********************************************

Peter's pov.

There are some moments in your life when you find yourself longing for something you never really lost because that something wasn't really there, yet, you long for it, wish that you had it. You feel an empty hole in your chest, a hole left by a missing piece that you never had.

I find myself sitting in the living room, constant banters of Mr Stark and Mr Barton filling the previous quietness as Mr Banner and Ms Maximoff laughed at the duo. "You guys are worse than kids." Ms Maximoff says between her laughter making the childish argument seize as they turn to the brown-haired girl.

"You better take that back, kiddie." Mr Barton says with fake sternness and I feel a small smile creep upon my face at the statement.

Kiddie...

Uncle Ben used that word more often than not, it was his go-to while addressing me. Knowing from a young age that there were only two people in the whole wide world who were your family isn't very easy to digest, at least, not for a ten-year-old. School days after Thanksgiving and Christmas used to be the worst, hearing stories about the big celebration with huge families was never very easy, only a reminder of what I had lost without even having in the first place.

The first Christmas after Uncle Ben's death was terrible, with only me and May left to exchange the presents, the loneliness came crashing at us like a tsunami. It's been a long time since those days, the longingness pushed deep down from the surface. But, I feel the box filled with those childish insecurities jiggle as my eyes glance over the laughing faces, a bitter-sweet feeling creeping through my veins.

"Pete, you are awfully quiet today, that's something new." I jerk my head up, noticing I had subconsciously bent it down and turn to Mr Barton with a flustered look. I feel a shiver as I am greeted with everyone in the room staring at me. "I-I am just...tired, I guess."

"Yeah, well, it's late too." Mr Banner stretches, looking at his wristwatch. I feel Mr Stark looking at me through my peripheral vision with an unwavering gaze. "So, you are Peter. I've heard a lot about you from dad." Ms Maximoff speaks up, a soft smile stretched across her face as she nods in Mr Barton's direction.

"It's good to finally meet you." She completes and I smile in response. "It's really nice to meet you too, Ms Maximoff," I reply with similar enthusiasm, the previous sombre thoughts pushed aside. Mr Barton suddenly starts laughing and I turn to him, confused. Mr Banner simply shakes his head and Ms Maximoff gives her dad a sharp look before turning back to me.

"I'm only an year older than you, call me Wanda." I hesitantly nod at her. "You are Uncle Tony's intern, aren't you?" I watch Mr Stark's head snap in her direction but she completely ignores him, waiting for my response. "I, yes. I am." She nods her head, a small smile coming upon her face making me frown as to what she found funny.

I feel startled as Mr Barton suddenly claps his hand, getting up from the couch. "Look, I don't know about you guys, but, I am hella hungry and I think I saw some pizza right in the kitchen. So, how about a movie, a little family time?"

Family...

"It's 1 am."

"We are not watching Hunger Games." Mr Banner and Mr Stark say simultaneously. I smile at the clashing statements, a perfect contrast of responsible and childish. I push away the weird numbness in my chest.

"You know what, you guys get the pizza. I and Peter will choose the movie." Ms Maximoff announces receiving inaudible grumbles from the adults as Mr Barton and Mr Banner moves towards the kitchen.