31| He found out.

Tony's pov.

"Sir, you've been awake for 53 hours, I must insist-"

"Mute," I order without a second thought, not paying any heed to the A.I.'s words as he goes silent. I turn my focus back to the piece of machinery in front of me, my hands holding the glass full of whisky in a tight grip, trying to keep my repeating thoughts at bay. I feel numb to everything around me, the lab feeling dark and cold due to the absence of a certain teenager.

It's been two days of me not leaving the lab and the upcoming lecture by the team is inevitable, but that isn't my major concern, not yet, at least. "Sir, Ms Romanoff is asking for entrance." I sigh in exasperation, hearing the same statement for the fourth time in the last three hours. "Don't-" I am cut off by the shrill ringing of my phone, Natasha's name flashing across the screen and I hang upon it. Not a second later, the lab again echoes with the annoying sound and I pick it up, knowing I am not going to be left in peace.

"What do you want, Romanoff?" My voice comes out devoid of any emotion, a reflection of my current state. "I'm going to tell the team if you don't open the door this very second." She knew. Of course, she did. The mere thought of everyone knowing about the situation makes my heart escalate.

I hang up on her and rub my palm across my face. "Jarvis, let her in." The A.I. remains silent but the sound of the doors opening confirms that my command had been heard. I keep my face emotionless, knowing the spy can read them like an open book as I watch her walk towards, her mouth set in a straight line as her eyes settle upon the glass in my hand.

She walks up to me and grabs the glass out of my hand making me roll my eyes at her as she puts it on the work table with a loud thud before sitting on the couch in front of me. "What's wrong with you? Pepper was worried sick when she had to go abroad while you decided to cut every connection with anything out of your lab."

I remain silent, not bothering to answer her question. The thought of having to face Pepper's vexation making me suppress a groan."Guess what, everyone knows something's up with you and Pete and they are worried as hell and you being holed up in your damn lab isn't helping at all."

"What do you want me to do, grab some pizza and put on a movie?"

"Tony, I understand you are pissed at him and I don't blame you," I snort at her statement, a bitter laugh escaping my lips. "but, this has gone too far, now. He is your god damn kid."

"So?"

She stares at me in disbelief, her eyebrow quirked up questioningly. "Don't pretend this doesn't affect you, Tony."

"You know what affects me more? It's the fact that he decided to jump in front of Hulk. That dumb kid thinks that he is invincible, it's about time he learns to deal with the consequences." I finally snap at her, my thoughts spilling out of my mouth as she gave me a sad look.

"Tony, you miss him and you know it."

"Well, that doesn't change shit. I don't give a fuck." I am taken aback by the sudden anger that flashes by her eyes. She stands up from her seat and walks towards me, "You know what, I am done with you pulling up that 'I don't care' bullshit every time you are scared, this is enough."

"You really expect me to believe that you are done with him, done with the same kid you took care of and worried for every single day? Well, guess what, I am not a fucking idiot, Stark." She pauses, looking at me with a sharp gaze, "Get your shit together." Who the hell does she think she is asking me to get my shit together when she was right there, right there when the kid nearly fell and almost slammed into the ground.

I get up from my seat and walk to her, fury bubbling into my veins as the red-head held her ground. "You know what, you're right. I was scared, I was fucking scared when I thought I'll have to see him unconscious on a freaking hospital bed for days, again. So, I'm sorry that I am fucking pissed at him for having zero self-preservation."