Chapter 6

"Answer your fucking phone," Gerard groans, lightly kicking Frank in the side to wake him up. Frank opens his eyes slowly, and it's bright outside. His phone is ringing, and he sees Gerard throw a pillow over his face.

"Turn the fucking thing off if you're not gonna answer it, asshole," Gerard grumbles. The caller ID shows that it's his mom calling. He's instantly filled with panic upon realizing that he never had permission to stay over at Gerard's house, and he practically jumps out of bed when he realizes it's her. He quickly answers it, even though he really doesn't want to.

"Hello?" He says, bracing himself for what she's about to throw at him, knowing there will be something.

"Frank, where the hell are you?!" His mother shouts. Frank flinches at her tone, forgetting to mask his fear so Gerard can't see.

"At a friends place. They needed me last night, I left you a note, it was on the counter, I'm promise it's there," Frank quickly answers.

"You didn't fucking ask. I saw your goddamn note. Get your ass home right now, and you better tell your girlfriend you love her because you're not going to be seeing her in a long time!" His mom fumes. She sounds beyond pissed. Frank looks at Gerard, who is now fully awake and staring at him, his demeanor of being tired a few seconds ago to now alert and concerned.

"I'll be there soon," Frank says quietly, and he hangs up. He drops his phone down on the bed in front of him, and just as his phone falls, Frank also falls back against Gerard's bed.

"You're leaving," Gerard says, sitting up and looking down at him. It's not a question. Even though he didn't hear the conversation, he can tell Frank has to leave and he can't go against his mom and stay.

"I have to," Frank replies, starting to stand up and get his things together so he can put them into his bag.

"Are you okay?" Gerard asks when Frank zips up his backpack. Frank shrugs, looking more and more visibly upset as the seconds pass.

"Come here," Gerard coaxes softly, lifting the blanket up next to him. Frank turns his head and sees Gerard with his legs parted, motioning for Frank to sit between them, so he gets up to sit by him, and Gerard wraps the blanket around Frank and hugs him, wrapping his arms around his waist. Frank finds himself leaning into his touch, his back against Gerard's chest, and it makes him not want to leave even more. He swears sometimes that Gerard's the only one who really cares about him. Frank turns his head and presses his cheek against Gerard's bare shoulder, and he feels Gerard's hand come up and rub the back of his neck. Frank turns and wraps his arms around Gerard's torso.

"I don't want to go," Frank whispers, fearing what his mom is going to do to him when he gets home, and he wishes so bad to just be able to tell Gerard what goes on at his house so that just maybe, Gerard could stop him from going home.

"I know," Gerard whispers back, holding him tighter. Frank closes his eyes and holds on a few seconds longer and then he lets go. He gets his shoes on and then stands up and starts walking out of Gerard's bedroom, and Gerard follows closely behind. They get to the front door, and just as Frank is about to turn the handle to open it, Frank turns around and Gerard steps closer to him and cups his face in the palms of his hands. He gazes into Frank's tired eyes, and then leans down and presses a kiss onto Frank's forehead, lingering there longer than he probably should, and then messes up Frank's hair.

"Stay safe, call me when you can," Gerard whispers.

"I will."

Frank looks at Gerard one last time before going outside and heading back home on his bike.

On the way home, Frank tries not to think about his mother. Instead, he thinks about his best friend, and he thinks of how kind Gerard is to him. Even though Frank is upset that he couldn't stay longer to talk with Gerard about the previous night, he's thankful Gerard is so understanding, even though he hasn't told him a thing about what his mother does.